When did you go to two meals a day?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you go to two meals a day?

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen did you go to two meals a day?

Wondering when we should put Bella on two meals instead of three? She is 5 months old today and weighs almost 47 pounds. She is big for a female we've been told, you should see her paws, the vet told us we need to be prepared to have a big dog on our hands.
    So I was wondering when did you change the feeding times and how much did you feed at each meal? I know the bag says to feed a certain amount but if we went by that Bella would be bigger then she already is. Any help would be appreciated. She is on Nutro Ultra large breed puppy.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I feed to weight. Right now Charlotte's getting 1 cup three times daily. When she looks pudgy we cut back a bit, if she looks lanky we give a little extra. Once her weight seems to have leveled off we'll go to two meals a day, but she's still growing so I prefer to keep her on three rather than cram all those calories into two meals.

I feed Jake (4 years old) the same way. He seems to have packed on a few pounds since I headed back to class, so he's getting 1 c twice a day down from 1.25 cups twice a day.

The amount fed really varies depending on food, metabolism, etc. As long as she's not obese (can you feel ribs? see a waist?) or rail thin you should be okay with the amount you're feeding

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Dani is offline Senior Member

I switched at 10 weeks old. For both boys. I will continue to use that as a switching age...just as I will switch from puppy food to adult at 5 months.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Around 4-5 months for all 3 of mine. That's also the time they were put on adult food. I'm surprised your vet hasn't recommended the adult food yet, being the size that she is. Puppy food will speed her growth, and you don't want that given her size. She could end up with joint problems down the road.

Oh, 1.5 cups in the morning and the same at night.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

[QUOTE=jzgrlduff;145337 I'm surprised your vet hasn't recommended the adult food yet, being the size that she is. Puppy food will speed her growth, and you don't want that given her size.

[/QUOTE]

Really, our vet told us the exact opposite! I am now bothered to think we may be doing something wrong, and we have two 35 lb bags to go through. Hubby laid off, can't afford to just give it away or buy more just now, and can't take it back as we bought it in a different state.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

When to stop puppy food is another one of those food topics that lacks a clear consensus (just like when to stop 3 meals, whether to give LB food or not, high or moderate protein, etc.)

Jake ate LB puppy food until he was a year old, no ill effects so far. Charlotte will also be on a LB puppy food (Orijen) until approximately one year.

The most important thing (and one thing that has been proven again and again in studies) is to prevent obesity. It is far better to be a little thin than obese in terms of longevity

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Thanks so much Jake and Charlotte's Mom! I fell better now, I thought on no, I don't want to harm my pup. She isn't skinny nor obese. She is active, loves to swim, hike, go on long walks, and loves her friends at the doggie parks. As I mentioned I can't afford to switch her to adult dog food right now. Phew, what a load off, I guess we will learn as we go.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java was at 2 meals a day immediately when we got her at weeks, out of necessity as we both work. It worked out just fine for her. She is a big girl also...she was 55 lbs at 5 months and is 70 lbs at 9 months. We switched her to adult food at 5 months because she was growing too fast on the puppy food and we needed to slow it down a bit.
    I would keep an eye on that with your pup...if she starts limping on different legs it may be time to see teh vet and switch to an adult food. For some pups, especially teh big ones, pupy food is TOO good for them, too nutritious.

adis mom is offline Member

Adi is 5 months old this week and on 1.5 cups in the am and 1.5 cups in the evening. She gains about 2-3 lbs a week and vet said its normal. Her "treats" are crunchy baby carrots and fresh green beans which we give her throught the day -- not too much. Milk Bones are her nite time treat and gets 2. shes up to 44 lbs. She's content with the Puppy food, I'm waiting for her next vet visit to see about adult food. My hubby is also unemployed and I know what you mean about saving every dime. Much Luck to you.
    Adi

Thanks Adis Mom, please let me know what your vet says about the adult food. We are going to keep her on it, but I think I will put her to two meals a day after she heals completely from her spay surgery. Best wishes to you too, the unemployment situation is hitting a lot of folks hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast