When did you go to two meals a day? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did you go to two meals a day?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Giffin & Carlson, in their "Dog Owner's Home veterinary Handbook" (3rd Edition) say it's best to feed puppies 3X/day up to 6 months and then switch to 2X/day. (I recommend you buy this book or, better yet, the 4th edition. It's only about $25 + S&H from Amazon and will save you much worry.)

All canine nutritional studies I've read (over 10) which have specialized in the nutritional needs of Large and Giant Breed Puppies recommend feeding a food (LBP) especially formulated for LB Puppies. These have the proper amount of kcals in proportion to the correct amounts and ratios of Calcium and Phosporus. I'm not aware of a single canine nutritional study in this area that has found anything contrary to this.

Feeding this for the first year (their consistently recommended time) significantly reduces the number of later bone and joint problems that Large Breed and Giant Breed dogs are especially predisposed to get.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Bob Pr. thanks so very, very much. My husband and I were wondering again last night what we should do. I will continue feeding the LBP formula for a year. Bella Mia just turned 5 months so we will also go by the recommendation and reduce to 2 meals a day next month. When the job situation allows I will be checking that book out.
    Again, your post has helped me so much as you stated facts and not just personal opinions.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Lab owners have a lot of varied opinions on proper feeding of Lab puppies based on experiences that feel absolutely trustworthy to them.

My professional training was in a science (although not nutritional science) so, with that background, it's no wonder I prefer going to canine nutritional scientists. This isn't "dissing" others or the guidelines they're comfortable with -- I just prefer my pup live by mine.

I've posted very often in these discussions on proper feeding of Lab puppies food because I believe it's important that the findings of scientists in this canine nutritional field be represented. That allows owners of Lab puppies to weigh those other recommendations along with the scientists findings.

If you care to read one of my posts with references on this, see my post in this thread:

http://forum.justlabradors.com/showthread.php?t=10776

Unfortunately, not all of the links are still working but over half still are.

ETA:
    The most important thing (and one thing that has been proven again and again in studies) is to prevent obesity. It is far better to be a little thin than obese in terms of longevity
    VERY, very true. And I have a number of references to studies in the US and abroad to document this. And many of the studies were done on Labs!

FWIW, in the original (and many replications & follow-ups) littermates were separated into 2 groups, matched by gender and weight, experimental and control. The control group was free fed for a limited time, the Labs in the experimental group were fed 70? 75?% of the amount their littermate ate. Results showed statistically significant differences in favor of the experimental group. They had FAR fewer health problems and lived approximately 2 years longer on average. (FWIW, these findings are consistent with scores of other studies that have been done on many other species and which are now being reported consistent with some current investigations on people.)

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 10-21-2009 at 11:00 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Again your post is very helpful to me. I got scared when I read don't keep your pup on this or that type of food, or for this duration of time, especially when our vet says otherwise. Being new to lab ownership it's confusing. I do appreciate hearing people's opinions but I find much more reassurance in proven test studies. That is why I say we will learn as we go. Each lab is different and unique but their nutritional needs must be not be that different as they are all labs. We are active with Bella and I am so thankful for so many that have given us their thoughts on what has worked best for their dogs. I take all the info together and then we think and discuss it and go by what seems to work best for our pup.
    I will be reading your link today. Thank you and for everyone for taking the time to help us, it is so greatly appreciated by newbies!!
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12