Are these Seizures? Help please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these Seizures? Help please!

SweetRuiN is offline Member

DefaultAre these Seizures? Help please!

Hello everyone, been forever since I was on the board and I hope you all are well.

I just had an extremely upsetting incident with Chloe, my 3yo chocolate lab, and I think it was a seizure but I have ZERO experience with such.

We were walking into the living room, and all of a sudden she brought her front legs up in front of her and I thought she was caught on something, but then she eased onto the floor and half-laid on her side, with her whole body rigid like that, as though she was paralyzed and couldn't move. I think it last about two minutes, but I wasn't keeping an eye on the clock.

She finally started to come out of it, and only THEN did my husband tell me this happened once before about a month ago. He had dropped a pot on the kitchen floor and it startled her, and she went into one of these episodes. He thought she was frozen with fear/anxiety, but what I saw tonight sounds an awful lot like a mild seizure.

She has been acting absolutely normal all day, all week, and has no history of this that I'm aware of. She wasn't drooling or paddling her feet, but was just completely frozen.

Chloe has a history of health problems. She has an allergy which causes her to break-out on her muzzle, belly and paws, which my latest Vet was convinced was an allergy to beef in her diet (though I feed her chicken-based dog food). It's been a very long, very difficult road for her and she's just the sweetest thing. I am absolutely heartbroken if she is starting to have ANOTHER serious problem.

Any help you can offer would be wonderful. She's fine now, and wanting to play, but I'm calling a Vet first thing in the morning. We just moved to Denver last month, so I guess I'll pick a highly rated Vet and start there.

Thank you for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Yes I think it might be. Not all seizures are grand mal with the shaking and twitching. Some can be very subtle.

I would suggest you take the dog to the vet and have a complete blood panel done to rule out anything else that can cause seizures. Not all seizures are epilepsy but 3-4 years of age is when epileptic dogs usually start showing symptoms.

I've had an epileptic Lab and there are others here who have also dealt with or are dealing with epileptic dogs so you are not alone. We understand the concern and the fear you are feeling.

Laura

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I have limited experience with seizures but had a foster who was epileptic so did some research. I agree with the above, not all seizures are grand (or petit) mals. And from my reading no two are the same for the most part. It does sound like your pup had some sort of seizure. I fully agree with teh above post.

My foster had 1 while with me. He just laid down, then started to shake lightly (not big shakes) and he did drool, alot. But he was coherent, when I talked to him his tail wagged and he would look my way. (eyes were dialated). He was not on meds and they were about 3 months apart. I haven't gotten an update from his new family on if he had a seizure again (I assume he did by this point as it has been over 4 months).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's what I was afraid of. Thank you for the advice, I hope whichever Vet can get me in tomorrow is one that I like and can work with (I hate switching Vets so much!). It just breaks my heart for her to have something else "wrong" with her. I really appreciate the support available here on the forums.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Get a Lyme disease check too. My shepherd seized due to Lyme.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Ditto to lyme and make it a 4 way snap to check other tick borne diseases.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I wonder if it can be related to the allergy issue???????

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I wonder if it can be related to the allergy issue???????
    She's shown signs of some kind of allergy since she was 6-8mo old--could it take this long for the seizures to come into it, too?

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I had a epileptic lab once. He had his first seizure at about 2.5 years and they sound just like your girl. He probably had 3 or 4 a year and while it was terrifying for me to watch, he would always come out of them none the worse for wear in just a few minutes (but eternity to me). He died at 13 of kidney failure. If it is epilepsy...you'll both deal with it after a while. I didn't put Travis on medication because they were so infrequent but I would have if they happened more often. Good luck.

Rae
    Rae is offline Member

My lab Timber started hers at age 12. They were horrible. I believe that is what you might have with your baby. Have her checked through and through!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast