Any experiences with Denosyl or SAM-E for Liver issues

Thread: Any experiences with Denosyl or SAM-E for Liver issues

nmhmadison is offline Member

DefaultAny experiences with Denosyl or SAM-E for Liver issues

Our vet wants to try this med for Marley after her blood work showed concerns with her liver count levels. Anybody know about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I use SAMe 400mg 2x/day (with a B 50 complex with each SAMe for better uptake) Milk Thistle (with dandelion, licoriche root and artichoke) at 100mg 2x/day and Vit E at 400iu daily and alfalfa at 300mg 2x/day for liver support.

The amount to give depends on your blood work. What were AST and ALT levels. (give normal range for the lab your vet uses too)

When my dog only had slight elevation I used half the amount of SAMe and MT and Vit. E and alfalfa

*SAMe should be given with the B complex away from meals for better uptake. Everything else I give in meals.

It can take some time to see results. This started for me in 1/2008 and by (up and down on levels for a bit - mostly down though) 12/2009 all is normal and remains so. I now only use the E 200iu, B50 and Alfalfa 300mg for support.
    Last edited by Snowco Labradors; 10-08-2010 at 03:21 PM.

nmhmadison is offline Member

My wife was at the appointment so I don't know the levels but they wanted to put her on 425mg of Denosyl. They mentioned Sam-E due to the high the cost of drug. They said results might be seen in about a week. She has symptoms suggesting Larangeal Paralysis but this is an evasive procedure so we first did lab work. The blood work showed the elevated liver count increasing since her last work was done. She also has Thyroid issues and takes Thyrosin.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would not do surgery with elevated liver if you can avoid it until you can (hopefully) get her in normal range and keep her there for at least 3 months. (I have had 2 vets tell me this) Not sure on the thyroid as I have never had an issue with it.

I used the supps I mention because Denamarin was recommended by the vet and was very expensive. Perhaps the Denosyl works faster than what I did but from a search it is just SAMe. Nothing else in the ingredients.

I got my supps at Vitamins, Minerals and Supplements - Buy Discount Vitamins Online - Vitacost (they had the best price I could find for SAMe) I also got my MT there.

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

We gave Abby SAM-e for elevated liver enzymes. I don't remember the dosage but found it cheapest at Costco.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I've had excellent results w/ milk thistle. Interesting that Patty mentions alfalfa though--- I also give alfalfa daily, but not for that reason (more because it seems to reduce the grass eating tendencies and is a great source of B vitamins).

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I've had excellent results w/ milk thistle. Interesting that Patty mentions alfalfa though--- I also give alfalfa daily, but not for that reason (more because it seems to reduce the grass eating tendencies and is a great source of B vitamins).
    I gave alfalfa over 20 years ago for a dog with HD to alleviate pain. It was only about 6 -8 months ago that I learned it supports the liver.

Atlantic Alfalfa (1 lb) [2311] - $5.50 : Holistic, natural remedies for dogs and cats., Natural nutrition, food and supplemements for dogs, cats and horses.

It is also good for cancer. The dog with HD developed a small cyst on her chin that looked suspicious (her mother had cancer so we knew what it looked like) and after about 3 months (if I remember correctly) on the alfalfa the cyst was gone.