Anal Glands

Thread: Anal Glands

lilyskeeper is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnal Glands

Lily is starting to have problems with her anal glands. I read that fiber is a good choice to add to her food but I don't know what kind and how much. any help would be greatly appreciated. I also read about adding pitted prunes (3 of them) once a week to food. Do I just chop them up and plop them on top ? I was concerned about prunes being poisonous but obviously they are not. Has anyone else done this by chance? Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Typically regular dry dog food has adequate fiber to keep a dogs anal glands cleared on their own. I never heard of anyone using prunes on a dog - is she constipated? I would be afraid of explosive diarrhea if I gave prunes.

So - what do you feed her?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Hi Sorry was away and no computer to use there. I feed her Solid Gold Hundenflocken and with each meal she receives a liquid glucosamine supplement and at her dinner meal she gets a fish oil supplement and probiotics. I have tried adding pumpkin - that didn't work to firm her up any harder. I have added green beans but possibly not enough to work any magic. I didn't like the idea of prunes either sounded like an explosive possibility and she does not need that. I have read that a fish based kibble makes a harder smaller feces that helps in a natural voiding of these glands. She likes her kibble and I didn't want to do a food change so I thought the adding of benefiber (rather than metamucil ) would be a good choice. I had hoped someone here might of used it with their lab and had a good result. It has also been suggested that at the first sign of a problem I feed her raw for a couple of days and that this way of feeding makes very hard stool that will correct the problem also. any advice personal experience with benefiber or the raw food idea would be greatly appreciated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

I was going to suggest pumpkin, but I see it hasn't worked for you. My lab, Breezy, has had ongoing anal gland problems too. For a while I would have to take her to the vet and have the vet express her glands. It became almost like clockwork; we would have to visit the vet once a month. But since I have been giving her canned pumpkin ( the plain kind, NOT pumpkin pie mix ) she has been doing much better and we only have to see the vet for a " tooshy poke " about every 3rd month or so.
    I give Breezy about a heaping tablespoon of the canned pumpkin every morning. I wish I could offer some other suggestions, but all I can share with you is our experiences. I hope someone else will have some ideas for you and your girl. It's hard to see them so uncomfortable. Hope you can help her get some relief!

Dawg52 is offline Member

I give metamucil coarse milled. One teaspoon with a cup of warm water, morning and night. I add it to his dry kibble. Poops are a little bigger which has helped to express the glands.

Metamucil Original Coarse Fiber Supplement Powder
    Nap time................

Wendy B. is offline Senior Member

2 prunes once a week just put whole not cut up on food-no more problems for over 3 years

Thank you all At present time I have her on grapenuts and things seem to be better..I just sprinkle on 1 tablespoon over her morning breakfast and the same with her evening meal...things are going well.no butt scooting in over a week.....I am hopeful and if for some reason it does not continue to work I will use the suggestions posted and hopefully one will work for her. Thank you all again ~ most appreciated !!

cousin kenny is offline Banned

anal glands kinda remind me of of few peeps on here . lol sorry , couldnt resist .