Flatulant dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flatulant dog

Big Black Dog Mama is offline Junior Member

QuestionFlatulant dog

My black Lab, Tristan, has a terrible gas problem. Does anyone know what to do for that? It just seems to be getting worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What do you feed him? Like people - what goes in often dictates what comes out. One of mine produced room clearing farts when he was given venison treats.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

My friend had a dog that was like that no matter what he was fed. Turned out he had some stomach issues but that's a different story. She would give him beano or a generic type beano if they were going to be the car or in close quarters. Other then that she would just joke about him keeping company away )

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

montoya's is offline Senior Member

The wife read somewhare (maybe here) that the lab is ranked as #4 in gas emmitting animals. I wonder what they rank if they ranked smell too?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

If you haven't yet, start to track everything that you feed your dog, and then experiment with eliminating something. i.e. HK produces gas whenever she has stayed with one of my daughters. Of course, I also found out that said daughter was making her a PB/Banana Sandwich on stale bread. The bread produced the gas effect.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Big Black Dog Mama is offline Junior Member

We feed him Dog Chow, which our vet suggested. My daughter has been putting a vitamin gravy mixture on his breakfast. He has had gas his whole life, no matter what kind of food he was fed. The vet just joked about it, and said it was normal, but I am here to tell you, his gas is FOUL! It can bring tears to your eyes if you are in close proximity with him. He also burps a lot.
    I will try the beano, Maybe that will help.
    Thanks so much for your replies, everyone!
    ELYN and TRISTAN

Samson is offline Senior Member

I would bet ( laughing too ) it's a food issue !

BTW vets recommendations are not always right ! Experiment !

Mombomb is offline Member

Vet food recommendations are definitely not always right, as Samson said above. I'd experiment with different foods. In the meantime, Gas-X or Beano is fine. Also, candles, air freshener and incense....

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

..or a gas mask for you and your visitors. Makes conversation a little difficult though.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

The kibble you feed your dog should be complete as it is in the bag and you should not need to add vitamin gravy. Are you adding it to try to get him to eat?

Your vet sounds a bit dopey. It is not normal for a dog to be that flatulent. An occasional fart - sure. But not what you are describing.

Dog Chow is not the highest quality food - some on here use it with good results but the first ingredient is corn and 3 of the top 5 ingredients are non-meat (grains and fat). You can get a better food without spending a lot. Kirkland Chicken and Rice and Pro Plan C and R is better.

I'm sure your dog is not so comfortable having that much gas all the time - I'd look for a logical choice of a better food and make a gradual change. And - not experiment - making a lot of changes over a short period is just going to compound his issues.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast