Dog Food recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Food recommendations

RugerRu is offline Junior Member

DefaultDog Food recommendations

I have a 1 and 1/2 year old yellow lab and we have yet to find a food that doesn't cause diarrhea and/or gas. We have tried Kirkland, Iams, and ProPlan. He seems to have a sensitive stomach and I've never had a dog explode in the house on the carpet this many times before, it's exhausting!

Does anyone have anything they recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What are you doing between foods? You need to feed something to calm his gut. I would feed boiled ground chicken and rice for several days until the upset stops.

You also should see a vet if you have not. This may have nothing to do with the food - he may have a problem (giardia or other bacterial infection or parasite). If you don't treat the problem the disturbance is not going to improve with new food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Have you ruled out other causes for the diarrhea and gas? I'd say a trip to the vet is in order first and foremost

Personally, I'd try home cooking (with a nutritionist's Rx'd diet) or an Rx food for food allergies (Royal Canin HP, Purina HA). Young dogs with chronic diarrhea and gas make me think of food intolerances or allergies. You could also try a grain-free food. What have the protein sources been for the food you've tried? (ie. Lamb, Chicken, etc.)

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RugerRu is offline Junior Member

I believe his Kirkland food was lamb and rice. His Iams food has chicken listed as the first ingredient. He's a really healthy dog besides the indigestion, his coat is good and all that. He does get lots of eye boogies which was why I was thinking maybe he has some kind of allergy. I will try the chicken and rice thing and see if that helps. We can't afford to take him to the vet over diarrhea at this time, it would have to be an emergency. And if any one knows of a good brand of food I'd like to try that before shelling out the cash for the vet. Just because he doesn't seem to be in any pain, and we're both college students I can't even go to the doctor myself. Not that I wouldn't take him if it comes to that...

oy.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree that it could very well be a parasite or giardia (giardia in particular can be hard to finally get rid of). please consider just dropping off a stool sample for testing (without an actual consultation with the vet) this should not be too expensive.

a few questions
    1 - is he getting any treats? (dog or other?) - these could be more the issue
    2 - is he possibly getting into other stuff (dirt, standing water, etc)
    3 - how long was he on any of those foods? How did you switch? It may be that the foods are ok but you are not feeding it long enough, or that you are feeding too much.
    4 - assuming you have had him since he was a puppy, what was he on growing up and did that work for him?
    5 - it is possible that the fact you keep changing foods like that is part of the problem.

The rice/beef (boiled) is only to calm their stomach, don't feed it too long. Generally after explosive diarhead I skip 1 meal, then feed rice, boild beef and some canned pumpkin (just pumpkin; not pie filling)
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I see you live in Oregon, does your pup go into any rivers, streams, creeks etc. If so he very easily could of caught some sort of bacteria or parasite. Please take him too a vet, checking a stool sample cost's very little. If you tell me where you live I'll find you a low cost vet and any clinic visit will be way cheaper then an E vet trip. Its not normal for your dog to have diarrhea for this long, no matter what food you are feeding it. Just one more question, how long have you given in between food switches.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

you need a stool sample examined at the vets...doesn't sound like the food; sounds like something else is going on.

Since you have not answered questions - let me tell you why we asked.

If you switch your dog cold turkey it will likely cause stomach upset. When you change foods it has to be gradual - 75% old and 25% new, then 50/50 then 75% new 25% old - over the course of a week or so. Sudden change will cause problems.

And - diarrhea is potentially very serious. A dog does not have to show pain to have a serious problem. If he has had diarrhea for more than a few days he is probably dehydrated. Like you have been told - there are causes for diarrhea that are not going to go away with a food change.

And - to be the crank here - nobody should have a pet who can't afford to take it to the vet. They are like kids - except the government will help you pay for kids.

brody is offline Senior Member

the ingredients could be the problem, and if there isn't a parasite (it is likely a parasite and a fecal sample should be tested FIRST) working on the ingredients in the food is the NEXT step
    after the fecal sample is done ...

I don't think fecals are all that expensive in the states are they?

good luck

step one is vet with poop for sure
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast