vet said food allergies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vet said food allergies

Heyabbott111 is offline Junior Member

Defaultvet said food allergies

hello everyone ive been on here a for a while just reading your posts to point me in the right direction with my black lab Kodi. This is the first time posting because this is the first problem that i have occured with him. He is 11 months old and just recently he started itching alot and we have discovered bumps all under his legs and chest. we took him to the vet and they put him on a mild steriod and antibiotics to help with the itching and sores. they believe that he has food allergies. now i have been feeding him blue buffalo chicken and brown rice formula his whole life. they are telling me to switch to hills science diet for sensitive skin. i just wanted to know what everyone thinks about this switch or should i consider something else. thank you for you time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sorry forgot to include some pictures of Kodi. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds more like a staph infection than allergies. Hills - they want you to buy it because they get kickbacks from the company.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mombomb is offline Member

Why do Vets always try to get us to buy Hill's? I'm not being bratty, but seriously? My vet did the same thing to me this morning. I took my Remy there for a steroid injection for his allergies too. (along with everyone else that was there!) I'm going to do some research before I make a switch.

so what you are saying is that if it was food related i would have maybe noticed it earlier. should i just keep him on the blue buffalo and let the drugs take their course and see what happens

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

It is true - they do get a kick back. Sorry, I have no words of wisdom but someone will come along that has knowledge of this.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Kickbacks or product they sell directly in the office, or honest treatment.

If I were you and had the same issue presented to me, I might try it for a few weeks and see if the problem clears up, then take a slow controlled stroll through all the possible feeds and find one I like that doesn't present the problem.

I am just a pet owner, no credentials here.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

well then what would be a good replacement for blue buffalo thats not over 50 dollars a bag. i originally put him on the blue buffalo because i didnt like the iams that the breeder was feeding him and his coat was dull.

Kalonkennels is offline Junior Member

I have 2 boys that were presenting very similar to what you described. Red bumps and itchy with sores. My guys were also de-nuding their bellies. I was feeding PP Sensitive skin but still having issues. I switched to BLue Buffalo Sweet Potato and white fish. Rather than giving steroids we tried using claritin, generic form. You will need to speak to your vet about the claritin. I also include fish oil caps for the boys. Since switching, the boys are no longer itching and are getting their coats back in. I believe they have food sensitivities as well as contact issues to grass. If they lay on the grass too much, they will become itchy.

The use of the cortisone injection is to help stop the cycle of itching and get relief so they can heal. I am not a vet but in the breed for many years. I really like the blue buffalo, just wish it wasn't so expensive. BUT, the boys are doing great on it and are putting on weight as well as growing coat without all the red little pustule bumps.

Debbie

yea i tried the fish formula from blue buffalo and kodi got very bad diarrahea. he does very well on the chicken and rice formula so i might try something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast