Dry, Itchy Dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry, Itchy Dog

Mombomb is offline Member

DefaultDry, Itchy Dog

I hope you all can handle a question that's probably been asked a million times here before, but wondering if anyone has some insight. My 3 yr old chocolate is dry and itchy. It's been going on for about a week or a bit more and it's happened in the past. Once, (please dont yell at me!) I switched all my dogs to a cheaper food. BAD idea. It took a month to get them back to normal. It only affected 2 of them though; my yellow never gets itchy. That was a long time ago. But this time, nothing has changed. My black lab is very slightly itchy, but my poor Remy is a mess. I feed Canidae All Life and I started them on fish oil pills almost a week ago. I've been giving Remy a Benadryl here and there. I dont bathe them too often, I Frontline regularly and his skin looks normal. There's no flaking, but he feels dry and doesnt have his normal shine. I have bad pollen allergies and I've noticed that when mine get bad, so do their's. Could that be all it is? If he doesnt stop itching soon, I'll have to make ANOTHER run to the vet. I spend way way too much money there as it is. *sigh* Thanks for any insight!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Could be environmental allergies. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to have the vet run allergy tests, but you can assume through observation. I was going to suggest fish oil. Benadryl won't hurt, but you have to give it regularly and at the right dose It can take up to a couple of weeks before you notice a difference with Benadryl, which is why it's important to not just give it occasionally. My vet told me that, at 65 pounds, Caleb can get 75 mg up to three times a day (he's only getting it twice a day for now). Believe it or not, frequent brushing will help, too.

I didnt know that about Benadryl. How much fish oil do you give? In the past I've given a very expensive supplement designed for dogs, but this past week have been giving him the same pills my hubby and I take. 2000 mgs a day, which I just saw, have less of the EPA and DHA than the amount in the dog supplement.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Don't bathe him unless there is an offensive smell !

With the horses we give some corn oil in their diet to promote a healthy coat ! If your pup doesn't have allergies then that's worth a try or fish oil

Quote Originally Posted by Mombomb View Post
    ...How much fish oil do you give?...
    Caleb gets 1,000 mg Salmon Oil capsul each morning. Nothing fancy- just the good old human variety. He gets a can of sardines and a raw egg, shell and all, once a week (not on the same day).

Thanks! I only bathe if they really need it; not often at all. Anybody know what the max amount of fish oil is? With as dry as he is, I want to give him enough, but not sure how much is too much. Sardines are a great idea; think I'll try adding that to their diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mombomb View Post
    ...Anybody know what the max amount of fish oil is? With as dry as he is, I want to give him enough, but not sure how much is too much...
    I'm not sure. Someone on the board said her vet told her to give a lot more than I do (I can't remember exactly how much), but her dogs are quite a bit bigger than Caleb, I think. That's actually one of the things I'm going to ask when Caleb goe in for his annual check up next month.

I forgot to mention Caleb also gets 1 TBSP of unfilterd apple cider vinegar every morning, too (the cloudy stuff with "The Mother" in it). I'm not sure it's helped with the dry skin as much as it's helped with his ears, tho.

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

Murphy gets canned sardines (Laura suggested this) and it seems to have really shined him up. He was getting flaky during shedding season. His coat looks great! IMHO

MurphySullyHogan

Kalonkennels is offline Junior Member

We are also going into the fall shedding season. My guys when they start to lose coat lose their shine and look dry and feel dry because the old coat is dead. Fish oil works well here. I also have 2 boys that are very sensitve to environmental as well as some food. I give the boys Claritin, generic form; I also switched their food to Blue Buffalo White Fish and Sweet Potato and they recive 2 capsules of fish oil daily from Costco. They are both now getting nice coats and have stopped de-nuding their bellies. BEFORE you give your dog any OTC meds suggested here, always consult with your vet. I am not a vet so I give dosages prescribed by my vet.

Murphsmom - He looks fantastic. If thats what sardines can do, I'm running to the store right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast