Puppy Food
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy Food

GizmosMommy is offline Junior Member

QuestionPuppy Food

I have an 8 month old Dudley yellow lab who I adopted at 8 weeks old. Everyone I talk to gives me different advice on what to feed him and I was just wondering what the general consensus is here. I grew up with 4 dogs (all shepherd/lab mutts) and they all lived long healthy lives eating typical foods like Puppy Chow and Dog Chow. This is my first purebred lab and I was just wondering what everyone thought.

Right now, he is about 72-75lbs and eats Puppy Chow twice a day. He loves it and he is growing at just the right pace (as per his doctor..the size of his paws at 8 weeks old indicated he was going to be on the bigger side). He is also completely healthy (his doctor always jokes that he can never find anything wrong with him). Being that it has been working for him since he was 8 weeks old, I probably won't take him off the puppy chow until he is about a year old.

I was told that when he is about a year old, he should be switched to adult dog food. What adult dog foods do you recommend? So many people say to use so many different things and I was wondering what the most popular choice is? I know it depends on the dog and his tastes also, but he loves to eat (and luckily he loves to run around, play, and go for walks so he gets lots of exercise lol) so I figure no matter what I choose he will be happy with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

At 8 months of age, he can come off puppy food. I usually switch my puppies at about 3-4 months. Most breeders I know do the same thing. Many breeders I know don't even feed a puppy food at all. My favorite food to feed is ProPlan, made by Purina. It's the only food I will feed. Look for the ProPlan chicken and rice (NOT THE SHREDS) in the purple and orange bag. If you can't find it, you can either try the ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach, which is fish based, or the ProPlan Selects chicken and brown rice.

I don't feed any type of Large Breed foods, whether it's puppy or adult. It's a gimmick given to us by pet food companies.

Laura

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I don't feed any type of Large Breed foods, whether it's puppy or adult. It's a gimmick given to us by pet food companies.
    I disagree with Labby/Laura about this concerning Large Breed Puppy foods.

Over the last 20 years (especially 1990-2000) there were numerous scientific canine nutritional studies published that indicated joint health was significantly improved & the frequency of later joint problems significantly reduced when Large Breed Puppies were fed a diet specially formulated for dogs of that size. A Large Breed Puppy was defined as one that reaches an adult weight of 50 lbs. or more at adulthood.

Since then, most of the major dog food manufacturers have altered their puppy formulas in the direction that these studies indicated. Most advise feeding the LBP formula for a year -- some for 16-18 months.

Obviously Laura disagrees with these studies.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 09-24-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawg52 is offline Member

I'm not going to get in the debate as to the right time to switch. I've always been a Eukanuba/Iams fan. But I agree, you can't go wrong with the PP chicken and rice formula. Here is a link to the product.

All Life Stages Chicken & Rice Formula - Products - Purina® Pro Plan®
    Nap time................

the studies funded and put on by the dog food companies who of course are unbiased and aren't in it to sell dog food. as I have stated in the past I'll put my 30+ years of experience in the breed and those of the hundreds of Lab breeders I know and have discussed this issue at length with over biased "studies" from dog food companies.

Laura

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

the studies funded and put on by the dog food companies who of course are unbiased and aren't in it to sell dog food. as I have stated in the past I'll put my 30+ years of experience in the breed and those of the hundreds of Lab breeders I know and have discussed this issue at length with over biased "studies" from dog food companies.
    I'm currently researching to find what the US military forces as well as Seeing Eyes, etc., are using in their breeding and raising of large breed dogs (GSDs, GRs, LRs) because each of those dogs have thousands of dollars invested in their development.

It will take a few more months to get these results.

IF I find that THOSE organizations are feeding LBP (Large Breed pups = those weigh 50 lbs or more @ adulthood) an adult food rather than a LBP formula, I will prominently apologize to Laura/Labby.

These organizations raise many 100's, 1,000's of dogs each year.

AND the training for the selected best involves many more thousands of dollars and hours of time.

I'm sure that those organizations are accurately tracking the results of feeding their large breed puppies.

When I get those results, I'll post them.

Until then, you can go on the advice of someone (Laura/Labby) who breeds a litter a year and who has never posted the joint problem results of her breeding --

OR -- go on the results of scientific studies of this issue which have involved many more dogs that were carefully evaluated.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post

Until then, you can go on the advice of someone (Laura/Labby) who breeds a litter a year and who has never posted the joint problem results of her breeding --
    My joint problems are of public record Bob, you asswipe. First, you state on a public forum that my advice harms Lab puppies and now you state that I've been less than honest about my dog's clearances? You dare to try and muddy my reputation yet again? I've been nothing but honest when it comes to my dogs. I had nothing but problems when I got sucked into feeding a LB puppy food. Since going back to what I had done before, I've not had an issue. In fact, I just had 2 dogs done and their hips should come back good or excellent and their elbows pass as well. So take your accusations and shove them, you moron.

How dare you!!

At least your true self is coming out so the world can see just what a horribly, rotten human being you truly are. Some day, Bob. Some day.

Laura

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    AMEN.

Bob, I do not understand why you keep attacking Laura. It would be comical if it was not so serious. You have become obsessed with this. My suggestion to you. FIND ANOTHER FORUM.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'm currently researching to find what the US military forces as well as Seeing Eyes, etc., are using in their breeding and raising of large breed dogs (GSDs, GRs, LRs) because each of those dogs have thousands of dollars invested in their development.

It will take a few more months to get these results.

IF I find that THOSE organizations are feeding LBP (Large Breed pups = those weigh 50 lbs or more @ adulthood) an adult food rather than a LBP formula, I will prominently apologize to Laura/Labby.

These organizations raise many 100's, 1,000's of dogs each year.

AND the training for the selected best involves many more thousands of dollars and hours of time.

I'm sure that those organizations are accurately tracking the results of feeding their large breed puppies.

When I get those results, I'll post them...
    Uh, Bob, something you need to take into consideration is just what those puppies & dogs are being trained to do. And active MWDs work is much different than an active Service Dog's work. No matter what they are fed, their nutrional requirements are going to be very different than that of the average pet. That would be like saying the person who gets very minmal excercise should eat the same diet as a professional athlete.

Laura made a very good point, too- those studies are funded by dog food companies. So let's look at it this way- since those studies resulted in the feeding guidelines on the bags, are you saying you feed Puff the amount of food the bag says to?

...Until then, you can go on the advice of someone (Laura/Labby) who breeds a litter a year and who has never posted the joint problem results of her breeding --

OR -- go on the results of scientific studies of this issue which have involved many more dogs that were carefully evaluated.
    Common sense tells me to go with the person who has more experience and has gets monetary gain from their advice.

bearsdad is offline Senior Member

Bob any fact you think you are providing is extremely clouded by your prejudice of Laura. The stuff you continue to post is based solely on attacking Laura. You are still researching?? A good scientist would have all of the results before making any claims. Laura on the other hand has years of real world, actual dog breeding and raising experience and yet you continue accuse her of not knowing what she is doing. Well let me tell you this, I would take her and other experienced breeders word over this stuff you continue to THROW out there.

Time to take your toys and go.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast