Dislocated Toe?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dislocated Toe?

UnhappyDislocated Toe?

Just joined yesterday and excited to be here!

Our chocolate lab, Malone is 4 months old and doing great.
    We took him to obedience training last night and he had lots of fun chasing balls and the other (smaller) dogs around. But he started limping after awhile (it was a hard surface) and this morning it appears he has dislocated a toe. It's the last toe on this paw, and its off at a funny angle.

Do we take him to our vet? Immediately?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

browneyes is offline Junior Member

I would take him in today! Labs generally have a pretty high pain tolerance - if he's limping, he's hurting, and I'd want to know why.

yep, i was able to get in at our vet and will take him later. Good to know about the pain tolerance!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Yes, a vet trip is in order. It could be broken as well. Maddy broke a rear pinky toe playing ball. She kept running like nothing was wrong.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio broke his pinky toe as well, and the only way I knew was by him picking up his paw when he sat! Sooo hard to tell when he's hurt...kind of a pain in the ass, since it can get worse without you knowing.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Ok, so we took lil guy to the vet - It turns out he had a cut in between the toes (must have been from another dog??) and he was holding his toe out at an angle cuz it hurt. Our vet said he was being pretty stoic. I checked this morning and the cut is healing nicely. Phew!

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Always best to get it checked out. Glad it was nothing serious - must have been such a relief to you!

Yeah totally!

Does anyone have any ideas for a basic lab/large breed medical book I could invest in? I don't want to be one of those people who runs to the vet every time, it would be great to sort of diagnose non emergency issues myself. "Labs for Dummies" has a great chapter, but I'd like something more indepth.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by camilleschroeder View Post
    Yeah totally!

Does anyone have any ideas for a basic lab/large breed medical book I could invest in? I don't want to be one of those people who runs to the vet every time, it would be great to sort of diagnose non emergency issues myself. "Labs for Dummies" has a great chapter, but I'd like something more indepth.
    My favorite is still Dog Owners Home Veterinary Handbook by Carlson & Giffin. Check Amazon, etc. It's not specific to Labs but is one book that has been WELL USED over the years. And I'm like you, I kind of like to have an idea what I'm dealing with before running to the vet or like for bug bites, knowing which human OTC meds and at what dose, are safe,etc.

My first vet (now retired) always said "if the dog is happy and eating well, it's probably not very serious". That alone has saved me mega bucks!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    My favorite is still Dog Owners Home Veterinary Handbook by Carlson & Giffin.
    That's our "bible" too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast