She fell off the bed

Thread: She fell off the bed

MacieTX is offline Member

DefaultShe fell off the bed

One of my labs just scared the dickens out of me last night... you know when you are sound asleep and hear something that is just not right?? Well, Gabby got off the bed but there was something wrong, I could just tell. The other 2 dogs start jumping around like it's time to wake up & play, it was 1:30am. I told them all to settle down but again something just didn't "feel right". I put on the light... Gabby was on the floor dragging herself. OMG! I FLEW out of bed... I picked up Gus (130lb all muscle lab) and bodily threw him out of the room, then I grabbed Hilde (70lb Belgian Malinois) and pushed her out the door. I fell to the floor by my Gabster... she couldn't stand. I live alone, how am I going to get her to the car alone, her hurt, unable to stand. I just sit for a minute, talking to her, telling her it will all be ok. She is looking at me with that "I know mommy, you'll make it better" look. I was so scared... after about 5 minutes of just petting her, talking to her, attempting to collect my thoughts on what the heck am I going to do. She got herself in a sitting position, then she slowly stood up. She was fine... my heart was somewhere in another room, but she was fine.

My question... could her legs have just fallen asleep and she plopped to the floor (like mother, like daughter) or could she have just slid off the bed, landing wrong and just not feeling like getting up at the moment? I have a feeling I will lose my Gabby far too young... she looks like she has been riding a horse on the open range for a long time, she is really bow legged. She has been to the vet (not today) and he says her hips are ok but they are going to give her trouble eventually. There is no way I could afford all sorts of hip replacement surgeries and that sort of thing... this was just a fluke and not the start of something, right?????? When we woke back up at 5 with the alarm, she was happy, peppy, running, jumping, couldn't wait to go outside to peepee and then ate a big bowl of breakfast... not a darn thing wrong with her. But boy she scared the pants off this girl at 1 in the morning. Just wondering if anyone else has just had their young, healthy dog, just suddenly not get up but then in a few minutes make a full recovery like we had been to Lourdes and lit candles???? Thank you God for making her ok, she is only 2 and just the sweetest baby ever. Sorry for rambling, she just really scared me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Glad she is ok. Gus is a very large Lab I don' think I could of picked him up.

MacieTX is offline Member

I guess it was just that adrenaline thing, like a mom who picks up a volkswagon off her child. My Gabby couldn't stand up and Gus thought it was play time, I needed him removed from the situation right then & there. I felt terrible because when I did open the door he looked at me like "Mom, what the heck?" He is just a gentle giant and I know if he realized Gabby was "hurting" he would never have tried to wrestle with her. My 21 year old son doesn't cause me as many sleepless nights as my furbabies!