HELP! My chocolate lab has anxiety, but not separation anxiety.

Thread: HELP! My chocolate lab has anxiety, but not separation anxiety.

stellasmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP! My chocolate lab has anxiety, but not separation anxiety.

My 3 year old female chocolate lab has an anxiety problem. It started about six months ago with her getting anxious, pacing, and leaving the room when my husband would get on his laptop. We figured out it was the noises, but if myself or kids got on it with the same noises, she does not react the same. We have a baby gate she will easily jump or she will try climb over things to get away. Recently she has gotten worse and now it is with thunderstorms or fireworks, etc. She shakes and tucks her tail between her legs. Last night there was no loud noises and she had like an anxiety attack. She was shaking and had her tail tucked between her legs for no reason. She ended up hiding in our downstairs shower and refused to come upstairs. She is never downstairs. We have in the past tried the dog calming pills from the pet store, but they didn't work. It was suggested to us to bring her kennel back into the house as she was trying to hide last night somewhere and she did it again tonight. No noises just us sitting around. Please help! Anyone have any info as to what is causing her to be so scared. It just breaks our hearts. We got her as a puppy at 9 weeks and she has been the easiet dog to train and is so sweet and loving. Thanks !

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

I would have the vet check her thyroid. Be sure the vet knows you want to check her thyroid levels; a CBC does not give info.

When my now 9 year old Lab, Reba, was about 18 months old she became anxious and fearful and developed some obsessive behavior. She would sometimes pace, but more likely would lick her feet, her bed, until soggy. She also had some seizures. She had and still has a wonderful coat. My vet was very skeptical of my insistence that he check her T3 levels. When the results came back, they were only slightly off and I again had to insist. Her behavior improved very soon after starting the thyroid meds and it was a low dose. The dose has increased.

She now has a seizure about once every 6 months. She does remain somewhat timid with people that she does not know. She has not paced for a very long time; I had almost forgotten the pacing until I read your post. She does lick some, but nothing like it was way back when.
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd suspect something medical too. She needs a thorough exam. If it is not physical and is purely behavioral - you may need some professional help. This usually gets worse with age - and she is really young.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stellasmom is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much for your advice and help!