Puppy food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy food

saltlife is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy food

So, we hired a trainer for our new puppy. He is a k9 instructor and specializes in search and rescue/tactical training. He came to our home to inspect what type of environment and food we were giving our puppy and suggested we move her onto a higher protein less gluten based diet (right now she is taking Purina Pro Plan for puppies).

He was concerned about her coat not being as shiny as it should be and suggested I purchased this organic formula blend he sells, or at the very least begin adding some egg to her breakfast or a frozen chicken thing, can't recall what it was called but it supposedly good for their jaws and has protein.

Is any of this information accurate? I would have expected my vet to have mentioned something regarding her coat, however the vet could not have been that great. I just want to make sure the most care is given to my new pup.

So, what type of food do you guys give your pups, and is it okay for them to ingest protein like us?

--Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC is offline Junior Member

I feed my dog Purina pro plan large breed puppy food her coat is super shiny and is doing well on it her last food made her allergies act up but this food does her just fine the doctor saw her and couldn't believe the shine on her coat
    First theres cocoa then theres Mocha wonder what's next cappuccino hmmm

Thanks, she is only on the 'selects' but according to the ingredient list they are about the same with 28% protein. I may have to ask the vet next time she goes (about another week) just to see what they say.

How old is your pup, and what is her weight?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC is offline Junior Member

My pup is 10 weeks old and her weight is a out 15 pounds or so that's just my guess haven't weighed her in a week or so but some dogs react differently to certain foods my best bet is to ask your vet once you take your pup to them and it may even take some time to find a brand of food that your dog responds well top because my dog was previously on nitro puppy large breed and had the runs and would itch all day even caught an ear infection from the allergies

I would recommend purina one large breed, iams, purina pro plan but if the pro plan doesn't work ask the pros and search the forums here under puppy food or dog food survey they're are plenty of different cases maybe one that fits ur pups as well good luck hopefully this helps
    First theres cocoa then theres Mocha wonder what's next cappuccino hmmm

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not change a food because your trainer thinks your puppy's coat is not shiny enough. Labs with proper coats often have less sheen (double coat and wiry/rough on their backs). There is a significant difference in coat shine between my 2 Labs. The one with the incorrect coat just gleams - they eat the same food. How is the trainer qualified in nutrition I wonder?

I'd stay with the Pro-plan (not the shreds). I would not feed Purina ONE - it's an OK choice from what is available in a grocery store, but Pro-Plan is better.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Solid information, I'm just going to schedule an appointment with the vet...

Her bowel movements are solid, so she should be getting her nutrients.. I'll let you guys know what the vet says.

She is ver happy and I may just be 'over-protected' because as I said, the vet never mentioned anything when we visited and that was only a few days prior.

So this guy could just be trying to get me to buy his crap.

Here some pictures of her now...

Just talked to the vet, they said that the food we have her on is more than adequate and that any coat issues are probably due to where we found her (condition) and that there should be no reason to change it, at least not for another few weeks.

Thanks guys!

labby is offline Senior Member

A Lab coat isn't super shiny. Or shouldn't be. I feed my puppies ProPlan chicken and rice puppy, not the large breed. I wouldn't feed a puppy anything but puppy food while they are growing. I don't add anything to their food. A well-balanced puppy food like ProPlan doesn't need any additives, IMO. Once the puppy is 3-4 months, I switch them to ProPlan adult chicken and rice, again, not a large breed version and not the shreds.

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    My pup is 10 weeks old and her weight is a out 15 pounds or so
    Wow, my pups are 7 weeks old and weigh 14 pounds.

Depending on bloodlines, a pup should weigh approx. twice it's weekly age up until about 10 months. So a 16 week old puppy should be approx. 32 pounds, a 20 week old puppy, 40 pounds, etc.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast