sick puppy.. please help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sick puppy.. please help!

lola is offline Junior Member

Defaultsick puppy.. please help!

Our puppy, lola is about seven months old. We got her from a humane society at 9 weeks and just over a week later she got really sick. After multiple trips to the vet we found out she had severe coccidia and also some form of skin mites. She was placed on medications and a bland food diet and eventually started feeling well. Since then she has never had solid stools.. Actually they have always been runny-soft and smell horrible. Our yard literally smells like a petting zoo.. We pick up the poop as much as we can but sometimes we have to wait a day because her stools are too soft to remove. She also has bad gas that could clear a room. She has been on the same dog food since she was in the shelter (science diet healthy development), so its not due to a change in her food. She takes heartworm medicine and frontline every month, so its nothing associated with that. She does have separation anxiety and always has. So we wonder if she just works herself up and this causes the gas and diarrhea? Could this be allergies? Or could this be something digestive like coilitis? Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I have heard some bad reports about science diet food - I'll do a quick search in a moment.

I would suggest slowly weaning her off and trying another food. What do the vets say ? They don't always get it right ! What tests have they carried out ?

Do an advanced search ( buttons on the RHS top blue bar ) for science diet and you will find a plethora of feeding advice i.e. :-

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ging-food.html
    Last edited by Samson; 09-01-2010 at 03:44 AM.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I agree with trying a food change-Science Diet is not the best food. I would think that is most likely the cause of the problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Zoe ate Science Diet as a puppy and I had a horrible time with her poops. When I finally switched her to a different food with around 4% fiber; all was well.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd have her on a sensitive stomach food - not anything made by SD.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

I would suggest a couple of things. Ask your vet to consider prescribing Metronidazole (generic is flagyl) and Sucralfate for her. The Met would be for the colon and the sucralfate would work on the stomach. It needs to be given at least one hour before food and other meds because it inhibits absorption. Try a low residue diet such as canned Iams perhaps combining it with the Iams Low Residue Kibble. Cottage cheese might also be another option. Gas X and Pepcid can be given but need to be done so with dosages as indicated by your vet in conjunction with the meds mentioned above.

If you have had repeated trips to the vet without results it is time to consider a second opinion. Also if your vet adivses you to use teh above OTC meds have him write a prescription for these that you can take to your pharmacy so that you do not pay sales tax if you live in a state that charges tax on OTC's.

labwrangler is offline Senior Member

If you haven't done so, you might want to have her stool checked for parasites again. Coccidia and also giardia can only be easily detected at a particular stage of their life cycle. We've just been through something similar with Freddy (almost 16 weeks old) - first he had coccidia, then giardia. He's now on his third course of metronidazole (Flagyl), although his most recent stool sample didn't show any parasites. Sometimes it takes a while to get rid of them. Our vet also put him on a bland diet (Hill's w/d Canine, canned, it's disgusting stuff), because although the stool sample was clear of giardia his poop was still runny and she thought his digestive tract was probably irritated. The bland diet worked almost immediately, in fact it worked too well and he got constipated, so now we're feeding him half Hill's w/d and half his regular kibble. We'll gradually wean him off the bland diet in another week or so. His poop finally looks good all the time, at least as good as dog poop can look!

It sounds to me like your pup may possibly have giardia because of the runny & really smelly poop, but if not, it may be a food allergy as others have suggested. I don't know anything about Science Diet. There's a ton on information on the web about dog food, and everyone seems to have a different opinion about what's best to feed. To some extent I think it depends on the individual dog's metabolism. After doing some research I decided to feed Freddy Wellness Large Breed Puppy Food. Try to avoid too much grain, especially corn, or other fillers.

Good luck with your pup, I hope she feels better soon.

Alfred (aka Freddy), May 2010

lola is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! We haven't had any tests done yet. I decided to try a bland food diet on my own for. A few days with her.. This time without her being on any medications to see if it could be a food allergy. Her poop still smells pretty bad but her stools seem to be a little harder, so we'll see. Zoezoe, just curious what food you changed to after your puppy had problems?
    Thanks again everyone!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I would also put her on a very good digestive enzyme/probiotic.

addecus is offline Junior Member

is she left alone every day? you could be right about the anxiety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast