HIPS

Thread: HIPS

kathy3750 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHIPS

How old or young do labs get hip dysplasia? Our girl is fixed and 9 months old. This last week she has signs of soreness in her hip.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kathy3750 View Post
    How old or young do labs get hip dysplasia? Our girl is fixed and 9 months old. This last week she has signs of soreness in her hip.
    Lola is 10 months and was just diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia. She had been sitting and rising slowly since she was about 5 or 6 months. I also began to notice she bunny hopped up steps and limped a bit after running around. Her gait is also off, she walks with a wiggle to her but. Has she had hip x-rays? I pray that this is not her problem. My heart has been breaking since I found out. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by lisa; 08-28-2010 at 01:45 PM.

all_about_kimber is offline Senior Member

Kimber was 8 months old and he had HD she had to have the surgery at 9 months and it is the best thing we ever did she now has no limps runs and plays with the kids. She is know 2 yrs old

amy & Kimber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Usually the signs are obvious by 2, when OFAs are typically done but as others have posted, symptoms of more severe HD can be seen at much younger ages. Do you give your girl any supplements like MSM or glucosamine? Never too late to start, regardless of what the xray says. I suggest to all my pup owners to supplement their growing youngsters as injury can also happen at any time, and it's nice to have that bandaid in place just in case.

I also suggest that folks get hip and elbow xrays done at the time of spaying but then I request mine to do so later, after growth plate closure as I feel it's better for the structural development of the dog. Sometimes long bone growth continues at a faster rate after spaying and nuetering, and that in itself can lead to ortho issues. As can fast growth, in general... good luck. Anne

kathy3750 is offline Junior Member

Thankyou all we are taking her to the vet mon am

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

my rottweiler had clicking noise in his hip area when he was 9 months old. He was very active dog and jumped alot, my country vet said he was fine said the noise was nothing. We had him xrayed at 3 years and found he infact had hip dysplasia. The ortho vet explained because he has mild dysplasia he would not have any issues until he was old and to even have him run agility, but last fall (he is 5) he began to yelp in pain on occasion when rising from a nap. Anyway, HD cannot be diagnosed without an xray...and even mild dysplasia may cause pain depending on the dogs tolerance.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous