puppy color

Thread: puppy color

Labfoster is offline Junior Member

Defaultpuppy color

Hi! I'm new to this forum so hopefully I'm posting this question in the right spot....

We're fostering a Chocolate Lab that came into the shelter (SPCA) as a stray. She apprears to be a pure bred lab. Just a day after she arrived, she gave birth to 7 puppies! She and her pups will stay with us until they are weaned and ready to be adopted. At first glance, the pups all look to be black but when I look very close it seems that they have some brown undertones. Their hair is black but it has brown tips. My question: Does this sound normal? Will the pups turn jet black in color as they get older? We're assuming that the little ones are pure lab (look very lab like) but since momma was a stray... we don't know anything about the dad.

Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

What you're prolly seeing is undercoat. It can look brownish.

Laura

Thanks for your reply... I wish my camera would capture what I'm talking about. I looked at them again and it looks like the touch of brown is on the ends of the hairs... We also have a black lab mix that we adopted - he's very black and his undercoat almost looks grey, especially when he's blowing his coat in the spring/fall. It doesn't really matter what the puppies end up looking like since they'll be companion animals only, (as in spayed/neutered before adoption... including momma once she's done nursing) we're just curious what these adorable pups may look like.

These don't show their color in detail but they're cute!

Thanks again!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your reply... Would the undercoat only look brown because of it's different texture or would the actual hairs have color variations? Grrr, I wish my camera would capture what I'm talking about. When my black lab mix blows his coat, he looks like he has gray areas... I think I'm seeing something different from that on these pups. Who knows... perhaps they're mixes. It doesn't matter what the little guys end up being since they'll be companion animals only (as in spayed/neutered before adoption.) Thanks again!

These don't show the colors well but they're cute!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

They look black to me. Coat color can have variations. But a true sign is the color of the nose and lips!

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Well no matter what color ...CUTE!!!

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm with Jen. They look black to me. The color of the undercoat can vary, as can the actual color of black. Some blacks just naturally have a brown/red tone to them.

Laura