Neutered

Thread: Neutered

alfie conn is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeutered

We had our lady neutered approx 7 weeks ago at the age of 6 months and since then she hasn't grown or put on any weight at all and is exactly the same weight (23 kgs).
    Is this a result of the operation or perhaps just a coincidence ? just seems a little strange to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

You will find that people have conflicting points of view as to when you should neuter and the ones that condone the late neuter may say that the neuter is the reason.

Personally I left Dylan until he was twelve months and Jasper was 18 months.

Bitches are smaller than dogs generally but i would have thought that she should be putting on weight at nearly 8 months old and would get her bloods checked.

alfie conn is offline Junior Member

i take it that your dogs are males which i understand should be neutered after 18 months, where as for bitches it is completely different and 6 months is about right, well so i understand !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Bitches actually benefit from waiting until a year before spaying as well, but that's neither here nor there now since the deed is done.

Your girl is 6 months, growth slows down around this age. You may not see much more growth height wise, but she'll probably put on 10-20 more pounds over the next year or so.

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

A friend who had a bitch agonised over when to have her spayed...apparently if you have them spayed before their first season you have one set of 'possible' repercussions, if after another and if you don't have it done at all there are others.
    I had Dinozzo neutered at 6 months when he sarted 'humping' everything in sight (his bed was favourite which made for disturbed hights for Rhiannon as her bedroom is directly above the room where Dinozzo's cage is). Since then, of course, I've read I should have waited... but I'm not completely sure that would have been an option.

montoya's is offline Senior Member

give it a bit more, she is adjusting to the new body, so to speak, she has to adjust to the new hormone levels and new metabolism. in general the metabolism slows and if she is being just as active she may be burning more calories than she is getting or at least burning the same amount as she is taking in. try feeding her a bit more until she matures, then cut back to adjust for the slower metabolism.