Dog food question

Thread: Dog food question

ugadawg1696 is offline Member

DefaultDog food question

I recently switched my dog to Pro Plan Plus food about 3 weeks ago. She seems to like it okay but I am also mixing a little wet food in there. I just bought her the Pro Plan Plus large breed adult with shredded chicken. She is a 18 month old yellow lab and weighs 90-95 lbs. She seems to like the shredded chicken, but I just don't really know what it is. I read that it was soy, but it feels kind of spongy. Does anyone else feed their dog the shredded blend? I'm just looking for some advice from others as to if that food is good or not to feed her. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

No I won't feed the Shreds. All it is, is a more expensive version of Kibbles N'Bits. Soy mimics estrogen in the body. Menopausal women take soy for that reason. I will not give my dogs anything that mimics hormones.

Your dog doesn't need a large breed adult food. It's just a gimmick from the dog food companies. Try the regular Chicken & Rice by ProPlan in the purple and orange bag if you can find it. If you can't find it, you can try the Performance in the purple and black bag or the ProPlan Selects Chicken and Brown Rice. ANYTHING except the Shreds.

Laura

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

adding to what Laura said- a lot of people discovered they ended up feeding more of the Shreds to maintain their dogs' weight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Those shreds are DISGUSTING! I tried just barely biting into one once and it was the most awful, bitter gross thing ever! (Ya, I know, biting into a piece of "kibble" is kinda weird, but.....). Pro Plan lost my business when they swirched to the Shreds formula (at first they eliminated the regular Pro Plan, but eventually brought it back).

Now I feed RAW and Nature's Variety. However, the Performance Pro Plan is a good food also (sometimes harder to find).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We use the Pro Plan Performance and the regular Chicken/Rice. We have a senior on the Pro Plan Selects Salmon.

ugadawg1696 is offline Member

Thank you so much for everyone's help! And "Belles mom" - don't feel bad that you bit into a piece of dog food once. I did the same thing and almost threw up...I used to feed Lucy Natural Balance, I tried some one day and it was the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. I think a lot of people have done this and just won't admit it Anyways, again thank you all for your help. I think next time I will try the Performance if I can find it at my pet store.
    Laura

Pavu is offline Junior Member

Looking at all of my options; I can get the best value with the Performance blend, but I'm wondering if that is a good idea since my lab is more of a family pet that stays in the house 90% of the day and just gets average exercise...

Maggie - DOB 11/28/09