Hot Spots/Rimadyl

Thread: Hot Spots/Rimadyl

Presley's Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultHot Spots/Rimadyl

My husband came home yesterday to a hideous sight--Presley had chewed a sizeable hole in her tail due to a 'hot spot' that wasn't there 8 hours earlier (it's been years since she had one, but I remember they do come on fast). He said it looked like she ran her tail through a meat-grinder! He cleaned it, gauzed it and she conked out, since she was exhausted from torquing on it all day. This morning we took her to the vet, where they cleaned her up more and wrapped her in a $135.00 neon pink bandage and prescribed her an antibiotic, antifungal spray (which we have used for years, and love) and an anti-inflammatory. When I got home and looked at the anti-inflammatory it said: 'Rimadyl'. I freaked! Isnt Rimadyl supposed to be horrible for Labs? I have a friend whose Lab/mix died after a round of Rimadyl.

Any suggestions on treating her 'hot spot' without over-treating her?

Thanks!
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

My old dog was on Rimadyl for his arthritis and had no ill effects !

I know that it is dangerous to exceed the stated dose but personally I wouldn't be worried about it !

Rimadyl is commonly prescribed in the UK and US but it's the same with ALL drugs that there will always be a percentage that the drug will not suit.

RIMADYL - Usage, Side Effects & How to Save Money

What are the side effects?

There are a number of possible side-effects which can be seen, and in rare cases these can be life threatening. Early after the drug was first introduced to the United States, some serious problems were seen and attributed to the use of Rimadyl. There followed a campaign against Rimadyl which now seems to have been somewhat irrational and out of proportion. So what are the facts? There are two main side effects which are potential problems with all drugs like Rimadyl. (Other similar drugs in popular use are aspirin, paracetamol and ibuprofen.) Rimadyl is known to be able to cause ulceration and bleeding of the gut and in certain circumstances it can cause kidney damage. Gut ulceration is extremely rare following normal doses, but certainly is seen with high overdose. Kidney damage is certainly very possible if Rimadyl is given in certain circumstances. The main one of concern is if there is something else going on which reduces the flow of blood through the kidneys. This can happen if an animal is dehydrated, has a heart condition, or if there is an unexpected complication during a general anaesthetic. This certainly has killed dogs in the past. Also Rimadyl can interact with other drugs and then cause a problem. However the comforting thing is that these conditions are known and understood by vets and can be guarded against. Over the past few years some millions of doses of Rimadyl have been given, and as long as sensible prescribing practice has been observed by the vet involved, Rimadyl has been shown to be remarkably safe. In certain situations it is important to avoid Rimadyl, or take additional precautions with its use. For the rest of the time it can be regarded as a very safe drug.
    Last edited by Samson; 08-17-2010 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks for the information. I have read enough conflicting information as to not have her on it going forward. One article said it should be clearly stated on each bottle of Rimadyl that one possible side effect is death. I think between the antibiotic and Bendryl she is quiet enough, not as agitated, and doesnt seem as interested in her bandages as she was earlier. I'm not willing to risk it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

I think Rimadyl is a bit excessive for a hot spot.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

For occasional use, I think Rimadyl is fine. My concern would be a dog who needs it on a regular basis due to arthritis, etc. What I am wondering, tho, is why a vet would prescribe it for a hot spot? That seems a little over the top to me. Oh, a little hint- if she does start messing with her bandage, rub a little Ben Gay on it.

I thought it was a bit much for just a hot spot too, although it looks really painful. Still...! She had a arthritic shoulder about 18 months ago and we didnt give her Rimadyl then because of the possible side effects. We bought some glucosamine/chondroitin and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the Ben Gay tip. That makes sense!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

This is what I use for hot spots:

Sulfodene® Remedy Products - Sulfodene® Brand 3-Way Ointment for Dogs

WORKS SO FAST. I've had hot spots before and this is the best thing I've ever used.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Thanks for the Sulfodene tip. I'll look into that.