Asprin

Thread: Asprin

Jade65 is offline Member

DefaultAsprin

My vet says to give asprin for pain coated of course..but then I keep reading not to give asprin to dogs..which is it?? i know not to give advil or tylenol..a lady up the street has an old dog with bad arthritis and she just told me her vet said no asprin!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

A buffered or coated aspirin can be given to your dog, baring any other medical condition. How much you give depends on the size of the dog. Most Labs can tolerate one adult aspirin (about 325 mg)

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

montoya's is offline Senior Member

aspirin to dogs yes, aspirin to cats no

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

I think asprin yes
    Tylenol NO

Samson is offline Senior Member

Answer

Update 11/9/08 Yes aspirin IS okay for dogs. According to vetinfo4dogs.com they recommend 5-15mg/lb every 12 hours for a dog with usually about 10mg/lb every 12 hours being the usual. This is not for long term treatment though. DO NOT give to cats or puppies! It can have side effects.
    Just as in people, aspirin can cause digestive upset and lead to ulcers in dogs. However, aspirin with enteric coatings are not recommended as dogs seem less able to digest the coating. Often, the whole tablet is found in the stool, which means there is no pain relief being provided. Watch your dog's appetite, and look for blood-tinged vomiting, loss of appetite and/or depression. If any of these occur, stop giving aspirin immediately.

There are Rx's for pain you can get from your vet, meloxicam is one this is the generic form of Metacam Liquid that cost $90.00 the generic tablet is about $5.00. Give with food also.

See related link below.

Answer

I got this from a vet website

Medication - Aspirin for Dogs

Aspirin has the same problems in dogs that it has in people. It can cause gastrointestinal upsets and ulcers if the GI signs are ignored. It can cause renal failure if overdosed. It causes an increase in clotting time. This usually isn't a serious side effect but it does occur. Despite these shortcomings it has a lot of beneficial effects and it is inexpensive. The currently recommended dosage of aspirin varies a little from publication to publication but it is between 5 and 15mg/lb every 12 hours. Since there is a range I usually pick the middle of it and go for about 10mg/lb every 12 hours. This works well and seems to be pretty safe. That works out to an aspirin tablet per 32 pounds of body weight twice a day. I have to admit that I rarely advise giving more than 2 aspirin twice a day despite the fact that some big dogs could obviously take more based on the per pound calculation.
    -------------------
    I would add to the above entry that no one should take dosage recommendations from a website. It's not good idea to skip a vet visit to try to save money when aspirin can be toxic and can kill your dog. This is especially true for small dogs. What you see as increased symptoms of arthritis could be bone cancer. You don't know. Chance for early diagnosis can be lost. A March 15, 2010 Veterinary Information Network News report can be found here:

VIN News
    Note: There are comments associated with this question. See the discussion page to add to the conversation.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Additionally- coated asprin (Bufferin, Ecotrin, etc) should not be broken, crushed or bitten. Once you do that, you destroy the coating that protects the stomach.

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

If I give any type of aspirin, it's Ascriptin = aspirin + Maalox.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I have been giving one adult aspirin after very strenuous exercise for years, on the advice of 2 different vets. I am talking about 2 tabs a month or so. Its not going to hurt your dog if you don't overdo it. Vet said don't give 2 days in a row, etc. as aspirin stays in their systems longer than it does in a human, and levels could get too high.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If I give one, it's typically 1 80 mg baby aspirin. I try not to medicate the dogs because if something is wrong, I would prefer they rest and when giving a pain med, they feel better and often re-injure themselves.