Lab Puppy Collapse

Thread: Lab Puppy Collapse

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

DefaultLab Puppy Collapse

I went to the park with the girl over the road, she has a 14 month old choccy lab called Remy and a little darling she is too. Well, we were throwing the balls as you do and she was beating poor Dinozzo to it every time. Then they had to stop because Remmy's back legs began to tremble visibly and she had to lie down.
    She collapsed a few weeks ago she collapsed while exercising and the vet thought it may have been because she overheated, so Mel always carries water with her now (as I do after hearing about Remy), but the weather has cooled considerably since then and we never exercise the dogs in the heat of the day - only early morning or in the evening.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Is it something I need to watch in Donozzo?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like EIC-exercise induced collapse. There is a test that can confirm it.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like EIC (exercise induced collapse). Sad, but its genetic. I'm not sure how old Dinozzo is, but I think the signs/symptoms usually start between 12 and 18 months.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Go here and see if this sounds like what happened, EIC, also has how to differentiate between similar disorders.

EIC Information - CVM - VDL, University of Minnesota

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

It is very similar to what actually happened. I don't know what to say to her, I suppose the best thing I can do is to advise her to go back to the vet. Remy is very excitable - not like Dinozzo who takes 'chilled out' to new (low) levels...but I'll definately be keeping a very careful eye on him...our beautiful gentle giant (26" at the sholder and only 1 year old).
    Thank you for the replies - may not be what I wanted to hear which was 'Don't worry, nothing wrong' but at least if she goes and has the blood tests done, she will know one way or the other...and can take the relevant precautions.