7 month old puppy with Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 month old puppy with Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Terrim is offline Junior Member

Default7 month old puppy with Inflammatory Bowel Disease

My beautiful puppy Maisy has just today been diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, after the biopsy results came back from surgery.

I must admit I'm still in a state of shock. The vet said about three times in the conversation "it's not good".

Does anyone else have experience with this? I have all the time, patience and love to give her, but I just want her tail to wag again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No - had no idea dogs could develop this. Is this the reason for the surgery?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

They did surgery because she had diarrhea, and wasn't eating, and after three days at the vet, they decided she must have a blockage of some kind (eaten something she shouldn't have). They didn't find anything, but took biopsys at the time, wondering if she had cancer, or an infection of some kind, and that is what it came back with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

What had you been feeding her?

I'm in Australia, so something called Dr Bruce's All Natural - which is a mix of various grains etc I think, soaked overnight in water, and then mixed with chicken mince. It was what was recommended by her breader.

Just did a little research on it - apparently some of these cases are allergy driven and can respond well to food change. Did the vet suggest trying a novel protein/carb diet to try to eliminate that possibility? Duck/potato or Venison/potato is the most common choice in the US.

Are they putting him on Flagyl?

Soaking the food overnight is not a good idea. It is very likely growing bacteria and is really not supposed to be served as mush.

Here is what I found online at this site - Inflammatory Bowel Disease

The first step in dietary management of inflammatory bowel disease is fat restriction. Fat prolongs the time food spends in the stomach, which tends to promote nausea. There can also be undesirable interactions with fats and the bacteria of the intestine.

Beyond this there are several dietary approaches to IBD:

Hypoallergenic Diet
    Here a novel or hydrolyzed protein-based diet is used, the idea being that some of the immunologic stimulation may be from diet. If the patient is on a diet he/she cannot possibly be allergic to then recovery is possible. Some times a sacrificial protein diet is used during the healing process with the expectation that the patient may become allergic to the treatment diet and will be switched to another hypoallergenic diet at the end of the diet trial. Food allergy is definitely a cause of inflammatory bowel disease. For more information on food allergy and how to accomplish a diet trial click here.

Low Residue Diet
    Here a diet that is especially easy to digest and absorb is used. These are typically prescription intestinal diets.

High Fiber Diet
    Insoluble fibers have been helpful in inflammatory bowel disease. They increase fecal bulk which stimulates more normal motility from the intestine. Slower stool passage results which enhances water absorption. Adding oat bran to the hypoallergenic diet may be helpful.

For more specific information on the use of fiber, review colitis.

Thanks so much for replying Sharon. I must admit my head space has been "OMG I'm going to lose my beautiful puppy", but I know I have to calm down and look at the way forward. I just assumed we'd have so many years together that this has freaked me a little.

The vet got a special low-allergen diet in for Maisy - I just went and picked it up now, and thank goodness, she seems happy to eat it. They haven't given her any other medication yet, I guess maybe they're testing this to see if that will help. I only fed her a little but she's sniffing around for more, which I'll take as a good sign!

Thankyou for the link Sharon, very much appreciated. And thankyou for taking the time to reply, I know I'm not a regular here.

Oh, and a picture of the gorgeous Miss Maisy

lisa is offline Senior Member

Prayers and good thoughts for Maisy.

brody is offline Senior Member

deal with IBD daily - and while I had no fun - Sally came to us as a palliative foster not expected to live 2 months when she was just 4 months old .. she is now fine - yes we are very careful about what she eats and finding a food that worked for her was challenging - I home cooked for her for 2 years

the KEY is finding her triggers and working around them

be very careful about treats etc too - there are no bones/rawhide etc in my house anymore as one of Sally's over the top triggers is beef

I'm also dog sitting a lovely elderly lab mix who has IBD and she's reminding me that stress is a key component of IBD management - when I picked her up yesterday she had some dirreaha (iIcannot spell that word to save my life) already - before she'd even left home .. I won't worry too much but will keep her diet bland while she's with me

I belong to a great international yahoo group - K9kitchen - I'd join up if I were you - they are very helpful and feed a wide variety of diets ranging from home cooked, through raw and kibble ...
    i'm sorry you have to deal with this but it's ok - honest

Sally is a bright cheerful driven dog - her IBD hasn't stopped her doing anything!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    there are no bones/rawhide etc in my house anymore as one of Sally's over the top triggers is beef
    My Dutch Sheperd had nasty mucousy stools until I took her off all beef products. She cleared right up after that. I think that is a more common problem than many people are aware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast