Toby has diarrhea and i have questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toby has diarrhea and i have questions

Toby'sMom is offline Member

DefaultToby has diarrhea and i have questions

So it started yesterday and just got worse. It has some gas with it and it takes forever for him to finally come in for a landing before going. Last night he must has done 150 laps before finally going. We came in went to bed and then he woke me up at 2 am to take him out. Again diarrhea, went back to sleep until he woke me again at 7 am to go out, same thing. So i decided instead of feeding him at 8 am like i always do I would cook him some rice. I gave him about a cup of rice which he did eat and ended up leaving at 9 for work. I came home and he hasn't gone again (thank goodness) but my question is first off has this happened to anyone before and did it just run its course? Second how long should I feed him the rice as this is not part of his everyday diet. He is on grain free diet. So as you can tell he doesn't eat crap food. I feed him orijen and have been for about 6 weeks and before that it was wellness core, also grain free. Let me tell you a few things that may help
    Toby was not feeling well last week but began to do so towards the end of the week, Friday he got a hold of a frog but didnt eat it just foamed and drooled for a little bit, I did rinse and wipe out his mouth also. Saturday had normal stool and sunday night before bed I gave him advantage multi for the first time. Usually its heartgard and comfortis but money is tight and I dont want him to do with out so that was the alternitive. Monday which was yesterday is when it was starting. He started a normal stool then finished liquidy. I hate to rush him to the vet as I have spent close to $400 this month on both dogs and they are probably starting to think I am just a bit crazy. Does this sound like something I should worry about or could it just be a fluke? Sorry for the babbleing but I just don't know where to start. Someone please give me some advice as I am lost.
    Thanks Jaimie and Toby

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would feed him boiled chicken and rice (you can buy ground chicken at most stores) and slowly mix back in the kibble. Give him 24 hours of just the rice/chicken.

I don't go to the vet for diarrhea that is resolving itself. If it continues your dog has a likelihood of dehydrating and probably needs some medical attention.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

What Sharon said. Just remember diarrhea is a symptom not a disease. If the dog is having loose stools, it's indicative of something that is going on in the dog's system. Don't let it go too long.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Agree with what BBD and Labby advised.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

So if it gets better with rice then comes back after giving him his orijen then maybe I should consider a food switch. Would that be safe to say. Also if he has not had a problem on this food with the last 2 bags is possible that this new bag is bad? I hate to think it could be but we did just open it and shortly after that the problem got worse. No here might be a good question, I add antihistimine to his food as well as omega 3 salmon oil, didnt have problems with these in the past but could this be one of the cullprits as he is now starting to absorb the omega 3. I guess what i'm asking is can that be to much oil for his tummy. It says give 1 pump per 10lbs and he weighs 75lbs and i give 7 pumps. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the rice does and how giving him his kibble back affects him. Thanks for the imput.

labby is offline Senior Member

Why are you adding the antihistamine and O3? I am not one to add supplements, besides maybe Glucosamine. A food that works won't need supplements. I would stop everything except the food and see how he does on that once you get him back on the food. If the diarrhea starts up again, then yes you can suspect the food. You can then try a smaller new bag and see if he continues to have a problem. If so, then you're gonna need a food switch.

Laura

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Orijen is very nutrient dense. Cut back on the food.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

The antihistimine is because he has seasonal allergies and this is what the vet told me to do. He also told me because he was shedding so much this year his coat had bacame dry and brittle but at the time we had only just made a switch to the orijen about 1 week earlier. His coat has improved and his sneezing and runny nose has stopped after we started antihistimines. We live in Florida and had an unusual cold winter so when spring and summer came everything was in full bloom causing this one to be the worst year yet for allergies. Toby is not an all year shedder so when he started losing all his coat and was itching badly I was willing to do what ever the vet said to help him. As you all know our dogs are our best friends and want only the best for them. As for the amount that I feed Toby, he gets 2.5 cups a day/ 1 cup in the am and 1.5 cups in the pm. I don't feel that is an over abundance as he is 75lbs. I may be wrong though : ) Anyway I'll keep everyone posted and I will not introduce his supplements back just yet if at all. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Has he been on the antihistamine since before the Orijen? What is he allergic to exactly and what are his symptoms?
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

No we started antihistimines about 1 week after we started orijen and he has been on Orijen for about 6/7 weeks. As far as what is he allergic to that is the million dollar question. It only seems to happen when we are outside. His ears turn red his eyes get blood shot and he gets gunk in his eyes. When we are outside his nose runs and he sneezes. It only happens for a couple of months out of the year and during this time his coat goes from wonderful to sad. This seems to be the same time he blows his coat. So I don't feel its the food. Let me know what you think I'm always willing to listen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast