Sick 4yr old vet is stumped.. Please help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick 4yr old vet is stumped.. Please help

lilsal is offline Junior Member

DefaultSick 4yr old vet is stumped.. Please help

Hi everyone. I am new and in need of help. My 4year old shooter, is sick and I dont know whats wrong. A while ago he started to pee in the house and we thought he just wasnt waiting to go out or letting us know he had to go ( we were actually a mad at him), then he started acting vey latergic he didnt eat for 4 days ( and that boy loves his food, and even steals his brothers), which made me watch him very close and I noticed along with not eating he hadnt had a bowel movement in 4 days. He was acting very strange so my husband took him to the vet. The vet said his liver enzymes were elevated but that was odd for a lab his age and x rays showed nothing, she said she was stumped because he was acting like a happy lab and didnt look sick, but his temp was 106. we got him home and he was in such bad shape i honestly thought i was going to lose him last night, he could barely open his eyes, barely move, wouldnt let us touch him and kept facing the wall. Can anyone help me, what could this be? they gave us 2 antibotics and milk thistle but he seems to be worse then before.. Thanks for any elp you can give. He is the love of my life, I cant bare to see him like this

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Didn't they do any bloodwork? Is he drinking excessively?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks for replying. They did do blood work. His liver enzymes was 35.2%, she said that was high and could mean an obstrution in the liver, but said it was unlikely in a dog his ge (???) she said he was anemic and his glouclose was 70, his BUN was a 5, I asked if it could just be an infection and one vet said itwas likely and another said it was ulikely. I have tried to do as much research as I could on my own, but this is all so confusing to me and I am super stressed so i just dont understand what everything means.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but I am praying for your pup. Please keep us posted

georgie is offline Senior Member

When Molly was 2 years old she got very sick, very suddenly. She did not eat one day & seemed a bit lethargic. It was on the weekend so we had to go to the emergency vet hospital. Her temp was 105.3. She stayed there for the weekend, had IV fluids. Her bloodwork was all normal. They ran every test for tick borne parasites too. She recovered & we never really knew what it was. Do you have acess to an emergency vet? I would get a second opinion. It may be something he ingested to cause his liver enzymes to be elevated. I am praying he will be okay. Please let us know how he is doing.

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Get him to a university vet hospital as soon as possible, I've found that many regular vets just mess around and do not know how to diagnose something that is not obvious, plus they don't have access to as much testing and technology. It sounds like he is more than just sick, he sounds like he is in kidney and liver failure to me. Did the vets test for leptospirosis? They need to do that, lepto affects kidney and liver and presents with fever and failing to eat, though there may be other symptoms too. What specifically are the antibiotics? Some treat lepto, some don't.

I don't know where you are but there is likely to be a university teaching hospital within a days drive, find it and go, I've done it. They can have a diagnosis quickly and give the right treatment.

Oh, and I hope that when you said the vet stated the BUN was 5 you just made a typo, that is lower than a normal range and sounds more like the creatinine number to me, that's what I'm assuming it is. Was the glucose number you gave actually the BUN?
    Last edited by ThreeTs; 07-31-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree 100% with the advice ThreeTs gave you.

Where are you located?

I can look up and tell you which university VetMed teaching hospitals are close to you. I love them for their lower prices (compared to local) and the thoroughness of their services.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 07-31-2010 at 01:33 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Everyone, Thank you so much for all the post. Shooter seems to be improving daily. His temp has been at 101 and he is starting to be more active and eat. I am in Charles Town WV, I have heard va tech is a good place to go for the vet school services, what do you all think?

Georgie, Shooter now seems to be having a recovery just as you described. I am not sure if i should look into it further or let it go since he is doing better. He is not 100% yet, but compared to days ago, he is so much better, he even brought my husband his shoes at the door tonight.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Here's the link to Virginia Tech's services in Blacksburg

VMRCVM - Small Animal Hospital - Appointments

You'd need a referral from your vet -- they don't take self-referrals. Ohio State (Columbus, OH) does and so does UPenn (Philadelphia).

Glad he's feeling better.

I also suggest you read the sticky at the top of this forum about infestations of a trematode that causes difficult to correctly diagnose conditions. Some of Shooter's symptoms seem very similar -- especially the not eating and the apathy.

Hope he makes a complete recovery soon.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast