Skin problem-bites or allergy?

Thread: Skin problem-bites or allergy?

Charliesmom is offline Member

SmileSkin problem-bites or allergy?

I have to begin by saying that Charlie has never had allergy issues, I'm not ruling it out though. For the past few weeks he has had sores in his groin area. Previously they were raised red bumps with a white head like a pimple. I used a needle to break the sore, disinfected them and they flattened to almost like a scab but it feels like rough skin. Tonight we came back from our walk and he was licking his groin area a lot. I looked and the skin is red, very warm to the touch and has several red bumps from his penis to his knee on one side and ankle on the other.
    He does not take flea medication because of an intestinal bleeding issue (we keep the meds to a minimum). He was also at my parents' on the weekend. They live out in the country and was walked on what used to be railway tracks (they were pulled up years ago and the gravel left as a walking path). He could be in a swampy area, ponds, trees, fields, etc. The trail goes through everything. He could have been exposed to something there he is allergic to.

I have photos and am trying to figure out how to upload.
    If anyone knows anything to sooth the skin, please let me know

okay,computer having problems uploading them and won't let me drag them to the attachment area. I'll keep trying.
    Okay, put them on flickr and it still won't upload.
    Flickr: Cargym's Photostream
    I posted the url above
    pic1-dried darkened skin on each side from old sores
    pics 2-4 -new red sores
    Last edited by Charliesmom; 07-27-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: add pictures

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

It kinda looks like a staph infection. Can't say for sure of course, but it kinda/sorta looks like it from the pics. A vet should see him to determine what it is. He can be given antibiotics either topical or internal to combat the rash.

Laura

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I agree with labby. Antibiotics will help and sometimes have to be given for several weeks; sometimes up to a month to get rid of it completely. I've had 2 with this over the past year.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK used to get something that looked very much like that. Vet called it a staph infection and we put Animax on it. Cleared it up after a few days, and then it came back. That was about the time we were getting ready to switch her to 'adult' feed. I decided to try a corn and wheat free food, and the rash never came back after that change.

Story told for whatever it is worth in the library of rash stories.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Charliesmom is offline Member

Thanks everyone. I had to go in to get him some food so I described it to the vet tech. She said the same thing. I have to bathe it with an antibacterial soap so I have one with Triclosan. I dry the area and then cover/wash it with peroxide, leave it as long as he'll tolerate being still and then dry it off. I'll try that 3x a day for a few days and call them if it doesn't clear up.