Taste of the Wild vs Orijen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taste of the Wild vs Orijen

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultTaste of the Wild vs Orijen

I went to the vet tonight to get yet another dose of antibiotics for harlees chin acne. The vet gave her 4 weeks worth and wants me to try a food change. Currently feeding Kirkland she believes with the feet chewing and the acne I should see a diff with the food change. Much to my surprise she was all for grain free but wants me to try fish based.

They are both about the same price, which should I try?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nick is offline Senior Member

We don't have Orijen down here, so I can speak of it personally. Several people on the forum feed and have nothing but good things to say about it.

I have fed Taste of the Wild and I think it's a good food as well.

Since both are good foods, it really just depends on how your dog does on it as two different dogs can have different results on the same food.

I believe Orijen has more calories, so if weight is an issue that may be a factor in your decision. Taste of the Wild is made by the same company the makes Kirkland. Just in case it's some odd intolerance to something other than the meat or grains, you may want to try a completely different manufacturer just so you're trying something completely different.

justine is offline Senior Member

Well Abbey had a horrible bout of puppy acne and it still flares up a little bit from time to time, but she's been on TOTW on and off and it's been the best.

I did try the fish-bashed one (Pacific Steam, I think), but it gave Abbey horrible gas, even after 2 bags.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I feed Kodi TOTW and it cleared her ears up very well.

Re the chin acne, what kind of bowl do you feed her out of? If I remember right, at least with cats if you fed out of a plastic bowl, they were much more apt to develop chin acne. Also be sure to thoroughly clean the bowl after each use.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I'm just starting Shane on TOTW Salmon. I just couldn't afford the Orijen fish.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

For some reason they are both the same price here. Crazy insane compared to Kirland..I was paying $34 for a 40lb bag and I just bougth TOTW for $40 for 15 lbs. Crazy but at this point I will do whatever I can to keep her off antibiotics (after this round).

SHe is fed from SS dishes, they are cleaned often.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would go with orijen, personally. I really like that they list all of their suppliers, I have yet to see another company do that up front. Also like that they tell you in terms of percentages what's in the food (70-30-0 thing).

AND they're Canadian.

Also as a side note, last year Baloo started to lose pigment in his nose. I switched him from SS to ceramic after reading that it was possible to be allergic to SS and his pigment came back and hasn't gone since.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karolyn View Post
    For some reason they are both the same price here. Crazy insane compared to Kirland..I was paying $34 for a 40lb bag and I just bougth TOTW for $40 for 15 lbs. Crazy but at this point I will do whatever I can to keep her off antibiotics (after this round).

SHe is fed from SS dishes, they are cleaned often.
    Wow, that is an insane amount for TOTW! That had to be mismarked, I pay just a little more than that for the big bag!!

We had the boys on CORE ocean variety and it was over $60 for 30 lbs. Just got them fully switched over to TOTW Pacific Stream and they are doing fine so far.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Im in Canada and as far as I know, they are the only dealer in my city. I will check out for cheaper food elsewhere (online etc) but it was 37.99 for a 15 lb bag.
    Last edited by Karolyn; 03-08-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

A 15 lb bag of TOTW Pacific Stream cost me $24.98, the Origen fish formula was close to $70.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast