Lab skin problem

Thread: Lab skin problem

c99a is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab skin problem

My lab is 3 yrs old. This is the first summer she has ever had skin problems. I took her to the vet cause she had rubbed off the fur on her chest and the skin was red and irritated. The vet gave her antibiotics etc. She was good now after about 5 weeks her skin is irritated on the base of her tail and she has chewed her skin raw and red. We went back to the vet. Back on antibiotics etc and now trying to introduce hypoallergenic food. Does anybody have any experience with this, I feel really bad for my dog now she has to wear a stupid cone!! Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did the vet do any testing of her skin (a scraping)? Allergies can be to more than food - it may be environmental. You may want to get referred to a dermatologist.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

DefaultVet Tests

Yes the vet did some scrapings the first time and there was no mange or parasites. The vet said if she doesn't get better they would do a skin biopsy and send it away. Where would you get a dog dermatologist I am in a small town in Saskatchewan. Thanks for the advice!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultI am new at the chat thing

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Did the vet do any testing of her skin (a scraping)? Allergies can be to more than food - it may be environmental. You may want to get referred to a dermatologist.
    I replied to you thing the wrong way. The vet said maybe take a skin biopsy next time. What environmental allergies can dogs have? I didn't know they had dog dermatologists.

Thanks for your help.

justine is offline Senior Member

I would suggest changing food first. What kind of food do you have her on? A food with a lot of fillers such as corn can cause allergies.

Also, they can be allergic to everything we can. Kolby is allergic to all kinds of weeds, grasses, dander, etc.

Look up information on VARL allergy blood tests - your vet would draw blood and send it out for results.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by c99a View Post
    Yes the vet did some scrapings the first time and there was no mange or parasites. The vet said if she doesn't get better they would do a skin biopsy and send it away. Where would you get a dog dermatologist I am in a small town in Saskatchewan. Thanks for the advice!
    There's a vet college in Saskatoon... maybe try to get a referral there if you're looking for a dermatologist. Western College of Veterinary Medicine

My yellow boy developed environmental allergies around the same age as your dog (we think it was mostly ragweed that was setting him off)... where we used to live had a huge field of it behind our yard. Since moving, his allergies haven't seemed as bad as they were those 2 summers.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

did she suggest chlorihexiderm shampoo? i had a friend with a chocolate lab that did this. she used the shampoo every 3 days for a few weeks then every week then every 2 weeks and then as needed. the lab is now fine.
    make sure what you are feeding does not contain any soy, wheat, corn. my yellow boy has environmental allergies and licks his feet in the summer. he is on a doggie type benadryl but you can also give your dog benadryl to help with the itching.

i'd also get another vet's opinion especially if he/she has not offered any of these solutions first.