Healthy Weight?

Thread: Healthy Weight?

DefaultHealthy Weight?

I understand that every dog is different and have recently read alot about the growth of labs. I am simply looking for suggestions here on what to do. A recent check up to the vets brought this about.

The vet says that Moka should not gain anymore weight. He is currently 30kg (66lbs) at 9 months. He does not feel or look overweight. I can feel his ribs with minimal pressure when I feel his sides. He is currently receiving 2 cups 2x per day of Pro Plan's Large Breed Puppy food. Our vet says to cut it back to 1 cup twice per day, half of what he gets now, and to switch to adult food as soon as possible.

We do train with treats and he does get a kong or two near daily or every second day. The kongs usually consist of carrots, apples, apple sauce, etc, with only a tblspn of peanut butter on the ends.

Given this we figured we might cut back the food slightly but how much? Or do we just stick to the same? I attached a few recent pics to help get a better idea if you feel he is overweight or not. They aren't the best pics.

Please don't start in on the brand or large breed food, I am going with our breeders selection as he knows his line of breed the best.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

He certainly doesn't look overweight in the pictures. My adult males receive 3-4 cups of ProPlan adult food per day if that helps any.

Laura

banoel is offline Senior Member

Moke certainly looks to be in good shape to me. I know my vet recommended changing to adult food at 9 months. I feed my pup 2 cups 2 times a day of puppy food. My adult dog get the same amount (2 X 2) of adult food. I'd say you and Moka are right on schedule.
    - Never trust a dog to guard your food -

Beck's Frequent Flyer (Miles) 1/26/10
    Beck's Keepin' It Simple, JH (Simon) 4/25/07
    Noel's Duncan Delight, CDX (Duncan) 1/28/97 - 10/30/08 (Miss you big guy)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm sure your vet is just trying to avoid your dog porking out like many Labs do. But - he is still growing and should not be cut back so harshly with no evidence of a current weight problem. I would keep on as you have been. 66# is on the low side for a male Lab adult anyway.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Rae
    Rae is offline Member

If I had to do it over I would also watch the weight. After Timber being 90lbs and I had to get her to 70lbs it was really much harder to get her to loose. One stupid large milk bone is like 650 calories. I use to feed her those to keep her from darting out the door when I left for work. So for 2 yrs she ate Diet prescription food at 1 cup twice daily. She lost weight and made it to 71 lbs. Moka looks just right. Keep him there.

Rae

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    If I had to do it over I would also watch the weight. After Timber being 90lbs and I had to get her to 70lbs it was really much harder to get her to loose. One stupid large milk bone is like 650 calories. I use to feed her those to keep her from darting out the door when I left for work. So for 2 yrs she ate Diet prescription food at 1 cup twice daily. She lost weight and made it to 71 lbs. Moka looks just right. Keep him there.

Rae
    But - Moka is a still growing puppy who is lean - cutting him back will impede correct development. No way should his caloric intake be restrained when he has not got a weight problem currently.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Rae
    Rae is offline Member

Oops I forgot to add wait till he is 2 yrs to cut back. Sorry!!! Just one small (BIG ) glitch

Rae

all_about_kimber is offline Senior Member

He looks great but your vet is so right I was doing the same with my Kimber I was feeding her Eukaduba though and when my vet found out how much I was feeding her she went up one side of me and down the other. I told her I was doing what the bag said to do and she said what do dog food companys want you to do and that is buy more food. So trust me I have feed Kimber 1 Cup in the morning and 1 cup at night and she does just fine I have done this for almost two years now and she does not act like she is hungry at all.

Amy & Kimber