My 4 mth old Lab puppy has a new "crooked" ear.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 4 mth old Lab puppy has a new "crooked" ear.

Camosmylab is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy 4 mth old Lab puppy has a new "crooked" ear.

We've had our lab puppy about 6 weeks. His ears were perfect but in the last few days one ear has began to fold in the middle. If we move it forward it will stay that way for a while but then goes back. We were ondering if anyone knew what it was or why its doing that all the sudden. We looked/smelled inside that ear, looking for a possible infection but don't see signs. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

My 18 month old lab Gracie has ears that fold. Up until she was 3 months old they lay flat...like a traditional lab's ears, at about 4 months old I noticed they began to fold...it's like a crease in the middle of her ear. I was told that the reason for this was her ears are set too high on her head. Sometimes her ears do lay flat..but not for very long. Your pup is young, they may change..I've been told teething can have something to do with it (not sure why). Do you have any pic's of your pup? Here are a few pic's of my Gracie..

if you click on pic's it will enlarge them
    Attached Images Attached Images

labby is offline Senior Member

He's teething. Sometimes the ears will go funky when the dog is teething. Usually they go back to normal once all the adult teeth are in.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My first Lab's ears ("Bess" BF, competing bench line) were the usual flat flaps -- and she repeatedly had stinky ears that we had to repeatedly treat, many times every year.

My present Lab's ears ("Puff", YF, competing HT/FT line) sometimes lay flat but often crinkle in the middle, especially whenever she's paying attention to something. It's very much as if she has extra muscles in her ears that she uses that my first Lab never had. (FWIW, Puff's ears lay flat as flaps for at least her first 6? 9? months. It was only when she became adult that I started really noticing this.)

I'm so glad you brought this up, I've been very curious about this for a long time and look forward to what others have to say.

I think Puff's ear "crinkling" is VERY noticeable in our siggy pix. (As I said -- at rest, docile, dozing, her ears lay as flat as any Labs -- but whenever something perks her interest, major crinkling begins.)

IMO the crinkling allows more air in the ear canal which I suspect may help reduce the infections.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

mamazano is offline Member

My Chester has crinkled ears as well. People ask me if he is a mix, since his ears do not lay flat. I kind of like his goofy ears, and since we are are not breeding or showing him, I figure it is fine.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mamazano View Post
    My Chester has crinkled ears as well. People ask me if he is a mix, since his ears do not lay flat. I kind of like his goofy ears, and since we are are not breeding or showing him, I figure it is fine.
    I get the same about Gracie..."Is she a mix". Nope she is just unique

genc100 is offline Junior Member

i hope this thread is still alive...my 4 months and 3 days old labrador has the very same problem like yours...when she was reaching 4 months..i noticed her ears are always creased in half...some had asked too if she's mixed...

Defaultmy dog elle's creased ears

she is 4 months old, before her ears laid flat, i still don't know the reason her ears get crooked..

Defaultpicture

picture of elle's creased ears

Grannycar is offline Member

was ther eanything you did to correct thier "rose ears"? my 7 month old has done this since 4 months. doesnt bother me but if there is a way you made them lay flat with out tape, glue etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast