Wigglebutt = Hip Issues?

Thread: Wigglebutt = Hip Issues?

Finalyst is offline Member

DefaultWigglebutt = Hip Issues?

Hello all. I just sent off an email to Hunter's breeder for advice, but I thought I'd see what you all have to say about this issue.

So when Hunter gets excited and he gets his tail going he starts wiggling his butt. I've also seen him do a wiggle walk as well.

My wife and I think this is cute, but today at the dog park I started to wonder whether this might be cause him to have hip issues later on. Anyone have any advice?

Also, after the dog park I cant tell if he's just tired, or if he's achey (or both). He appears to be a little achey. Should I just let him sleep it off, or should I give him aspirin or something similar? I have been hesitant to do this because I don't want to cause bigger problems than just achey bones, but I wonder whether it's cruel to let him be in pain.

I have some asipirin for small dogs which I used to give my cat when he was having problems with his legs, and I have refrained up to this point but Hunter gets around very slowly after the dog park. Your advice is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm not a dog park fan. Too many people can't control their dogs there and owners have a tendency to let their dogs run until they are exhausted. A 6 month old puppy should not be allowed to run until they are exhausted or possibly achy.

The wiggling of the butt will not cause the pup to have orthopedic problems. Letting it exercise to exhaustion might.

If wiggly Labs had ortho problems, we'd all be looking at them.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

^^ What Laura said.

In addition - your dog needs to be conditioned to exercise heavily (when age appropriate) and like human weekend warriors will be achey when they overdo it.

And - HD is the result of overuse/forced exercise and/or genetics.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

To add to the above, I would NOT give aspirin or any pain relief if it can be avioded, especially to a pup. Often owners give dogs pills for pain relief and they end up injuring themselves worse because they assume they're fixed. Pain will keep them from using the afflicted area as much as possible, which is exactly what they need to heal.

I think dog parks can be great in moderation, provided you are keenly aware of dog body language 101 and can tell the difference between play and bullying, can read the signs that your pup isn't comfortable in any given situation and can recognize a veritable "storm brewing" as it were in terms of conflict between dogs (whether yours is involved or not) and remove your pup as required.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Well, he was there about 40 minutes yesterday. I didn't realize he was hurting himself. He wasn't exhibiting signs of pain while playing. But when we got home he seemed to be getting up slowly. He might've just been tired. After sleeping for about 4 hours he got up and was moving around fine. I'm even thinking it might have been achiness from the cold. Living in Southern California and being a summer pup, it was his first experience out doing exercise in the cold.

As a first time dog owner I'm still learning as well. I will keep a closer eye and be aware of the dangers of dog parks.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Puppies should not be achy or stiff because of exercise or cold weather - that's for old dogs. How old is your puppy? As Laura stated a wiggly butt is nothing to be concerned about but stiff to rise after resting is cause for concern.

He's 6 months. His breeder also said we shouldn't worry about the wiggly butt. As for the achiness, the reason I wonder whether it may be from the cold is because we take him on long walks (2+ miles) and he never seems to have issues besides needing a nap. I realize playing and walking are two different things. We're going to be more careful when taking him to the dog park from now on.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The wiggle butt is nothing to be concerned with.

I don't know about the 2+ mile long walks you are taking though, and just curious, how long have you been taking those walks and are they leisurely or a power walk for you? I might even be more concerned with long walks vs. the dog park. The pup really shouldn't be achy at all. Tired is OK, but signs of achiness might be a concern. You may want to ask for hip xrays when you nueter him, just to be safe.