13 weeks and a loose hip?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 weeks and a loose hip?

KoffeeKeg is offline Junior Member

Default13 weeks and a loose hip?

Hey,

Nestle had her spay surgery today. While there the vet noticed that her right hip is loose. He told me that she could grow out of it, it could be managed with medication or I can pay 4k for a surgery.

Should I be seeing this at 13 weeks? The little pup is not even 25 lbs! I asked the breeder when I got her about her parents with hip dysplepsia she told me they were fine. They looked fine too.

I feed her Science Diet Large breed to help slow her growth, and trust me- at this point nothing is slowing her down. She is in no pain.

I guess the point of this thread is, is this usual?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

How did the vet "notice" her hip being loose? If you're vet was pulling on her joints, I'd find a new vet. A 13wk old BABY is going to have laxity in their joints.

Did your breeder show you copies of the parents OFA certificates for hips? Without xrays/official clearances, there is no way of knowing their hips were fine. Why did you spay a puppy at 13wks??

I dropped Nestle off this morning, so the vet did the hip exam without me being there. I assume that he pulled on her legs a bit as she was under, but it is an assumption. He says we could do an x-ray to find out more. I haven't said yes or no yet.

I didn't get any vet records. The breeder posted on a classified through my husbands work (state farm) and I assumed that her word was enough (that was smart! :P). Her parents were farm doggies, the only two on the lot besides her litter-mates. They seemed healthy and happy.

As for her spay, I was told the earlier it is done, the better their little bodies heal. So, she got it done. I am not interested in breeding, we just wanted a family companion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I can't even imagine having my pup (also 13 wks) spayed this soon OR to be screwed around w/ for hips. I'd personally find a different vet. A pup would have to have pretty bad hips to show up dysplastic at this age and even Pennhip who prided themselves in early detection of HD has backed off on that.

I know vets are eager to spay/neuter, but I just don't understand what they are thinking. Not like a 3 mo old is going to come into heat for a few months. Heck, mine won't in general until well after a year. Last one was 17 mos and my 14 mo old isn't budging yet either (though I wish she'd get it over with!).

all_about_kimber is offline Senior Member

Im sorry to hear that I got a choc lab from a very good breeder that has never had hip proublems. Then what happens I get my lil Kimber and I can notice something is wrong we took her to the vet to see and it was awful when we looked at the x-rays. So I had to fork out the money to help her but she is my best friend and I would do anything for her. She was not even one yet.

Amy & Kimber

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Shelters do pediatric spays all the time but it is really not the best thing for the development of a dog. They lose the benefit of hormones which aide greatly in proper growth. It is unfortunate that you got some really bad info on that - but it is done. She'll be much leggier than normal due to this choice.

As others have said - it is ridiculous to make an assesment of hip problems on a 13 week old puppy. Your vet sounds like a total idiot. He should not have done this spay on your puppy and should not be recommending a 4K surgery to you based on specious evidence. Find a new one.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 07-03-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by all_about_kimber View Post
    Im sorry to hear that I got a choc lab from a very good breeder that has never had hip proublems. Then what happens I get my lil Kimber and I can notice something is wrong we took her to the vet to see and it was awful when we looked at the x-rays. So I had to fork out the money to help her but she is my best friend and I would do anything for her. She was not even one yet.

Amy & Kimber
    Amy, I'm sorry about Kimber, but some stuff can happen, obviously. If your pup was from cleared parents and also grand and greats, imo, that is an anomoly that nothing could be done about. I'm in the camp that we don't spay before the rapid bone growth is done. In this case, we haven't been given any genetic info, etc. 3 mos is far too young for spay surgery, imo, and you are messing w/ Mother Nature on natural growth processes if you flirt w/ them before their time.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

I am not nearly as knowledgeable as others on here on this issue, but NO WAY would I let a dog that young be spayed. Good luck with your puppy!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

I didn't realize how much of a newbie I really was. And to clarify if I miss-spoke earlier, my vet said it was something we had to watch. He gave us chewies that are some sort of vitamins in addition to what she already receives for supplements.

Truthfully, I didn't realize spaying this early was a problem. Mamma dog went into heat at 4.5 months (breeder-lady told me so) and told me to watch her on that. As for the hip surgery, my vet said that was something as a last resort if it progressed. Not that Nestle needed the surgery right at this moment.

My question was, was this usual with doggies growing so quickly? Nestle gained 6 lbs in three days (it messed with her medication). I am feeding her food that should, in theory, slow her growth to a level that should could manage it better. She is 30lbs at 14 weeks as of right now. Is that usual?

Thanks for your patience on this. I know you guys all have an amazing passion for the breed, and when you run into idiots like me on the internet saying/doing ridiculous things it must drive you bonkers. I am a new Mamma to this girl and want to do what is best for her.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Never feel bad asking questions here. Consider yourself a dry sponge sucking up all the info here I made a LOT of wrong choices for my first lab too. Wish I had know about this forum before that. Good luck with your precious pup!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast