Food change and ear infections, are they connected?

Thread: Food change and ear infections, are they connected?

mamazano is offline Member

DefaultFood change and ear infections, are they connected?

We have been feeding our dogs Purina One Lamb and Rice for years now, and when we got Chester we switched him to the food as well. They were all doing fine until Purina suddenly changed their formula for the food. Chester suddenly came down with a bad ear infection, the vet suspected an allergen of some kind. Well, the only difference there has been to his usual routine is this new formula food.

Is it possible that the food caused the ear infection? Has anyone else had this problem with food in the past? I have been wanting to switch to a higher quality food for some time now, but have the problem of finding one that we can afford. I did write to Purina and express my displeasure at them changing the ingredients without any warning, thus not giving us time to adjust the dogs to the new formula. I think it was highly irresponsible of them. But I guess they are saving on cost, having replaced one of the meat items with soy protein.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I am sure you will get a lot of advice on ths one. First I would check the old vs new ingredients if you can find them. Concentrating on grains if any in each one, and then the protein source, which meat.

For what it is worth, The Costco Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice is a good quality food that you can pick up for about $22 for a 40 lb bag.

You will also get recommendations for Purina Proplan. among others.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Toby'sMom is offline Member

For sure food can cause ear infection. Toby has had a few infections and the last trip to the vet he has a little yeast infection that was clearing up. The vet said it looks fine just keep an eye on it. He also told me to start giving Toby omega 3 fish oil as his coat was brittle. I started reading about fish oil and guess what it helps with, ear infections. Toby has been on fish oil or just a little over a month and his ears look great and I haven't put any ottomax in them. I have also changed his food about 5 weeks ago to orijen and his coat is looking beautiful. The shedding has almost gone away and his hair is growing in. A food allergy can cause an ear infection but also water in the ears too. Make sure that when you bathe him that you dry the ears really really good. Good luck bc I know how challenging it can be to find just the right food.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Purina One is not a high quality food and has a lot of grains and filler. Of the top 5 ingredients, 3 are grains and 2 are corn. Corn is a frequent culprit in allergies.

Here is the ingredient list:
    Lamb (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soy flakes, soybean meal, glycerin, animal digest, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, caramel color, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, ferrous sulfate, sulfur, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.