Diamond - just came across some serious articles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diamond - just came across some serious articles

DefaultDiamond - just came across some serious articles

Since finding out that my puppy has been eating Diamond Large Breed Puppy Lamb and Rice, I have been doing some googling. I found numerous hits that Diamond issued a major recall a few years ago after a number of dogs died and developed liver toxicity. While I am not planning any radical changes to her diet as she acclimates to living in her new home, I must say that reading that raises major concerns. Any one familiar with the recall?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10771943/

http://www.thedogplace.org/Articles/...th-Cornell.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Yes, very familiar with it. That was about 4 years ago and it happened when my Puff was eating Costco's Kirkland C&R which is made by S&K. I talked with S&K's vet several times and kept up with the developments and outcomes.

Schell & Kampeter has 3 plants in the US, IIRC, one in South Carolina, one in Meta, Missouri, and I don't recall the location of the third.

One? truck load of corn in their South Carolina plant was sampled for aflatoxin and accepted and processed into some dog food lines. However, their quality control sampling procedures were found to be flawed because that load of corn did contain aflatoxin.

As a result, a number of dogs which ate those products containing corn that were made at that plant became ill and some died.

As a further result, Schell & Kampeter has severely tightened their sampling procedures, requiring much more thorough sampling from more areas of incoming ingredients.

NONE of S&K's products NOT containing corn were effected including all those made at the SC plant. (The Kirland food Puff eats contains no corn.)

All products made at both of S&K's other two plants were NOT effected. (Puff's Kirkland food is made at Meta, Missouri.)

All of the major dog food companies have had recalls and similar problems and S&K's record is possibly no worse than any others IMO and very possibly better. They have had no recalls since that incident.

IIRC, Nutro (now owned by Mars candy company) probably has sustained the creakiest record before and since the Mars takeover.

If you Google pet food recalls you'll find that Hill's Pet Nutrition (Science Diet), Nestle Purina (Proplan, etc.), Procter & Gamble (Eukanuba/Iams), Nutro, and many more have all had recent recalls. S&K has not since that one very tragic incident.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 10-10-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: to correct some errors
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labby is offline Senior Member

Just about every dog food except Eukanuba and ProPlan was included in a recall.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

There are MANY other foods not recalled or recalled for something harmless.

Orijen comes to mind, also Innova.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Natura products (Innova, EVO, California Natural, Healthwise, Karma) haven't had recalls. Unlike other companies, they own one plant that makes all their food, and nothing else. Most other pet food manufacturers use shared plants, which is especially true for canned food.

Edit: oops, missed your post Kate! We feed Charlotte Orijen, sending some support Canada's way

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

GREAT food, Orijen. Top of my list if ever I need to feed kibble for whatever reason.

I don't know if Natura has a line appropriate for pups, but Dallas orijen would be a great one for you if you're looking for top of the line kibble. dogfoodanalysis.com says its not OK for pups, but thats based on antiquated, flawed studies that linked excessive protein with growth issues. Those studies have since been found to be false in their findings. This is one of the only issues I disagree with the DFA site on.

They make a LBP formula. Here's a link to their store locator if you're interested: http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/storeLocator/
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

When I'm considering a food, one of my primary concerns is WHERE the ingredients come from. I want a kibble that only uses ingredients from North America (preferably Canada, preferably Ontario) - the huge recall from a few years back was because of tainted ingredients from China.

Orijen/Acana uses local ingredients, as does Merricks - two of my preferred foods.

Interesting posting. Tonight after dinner we were walking by a man made lake that is lit up nicely in the evening. We ran into a couple and they were walking 2 very good looking big dogs. I asked them what they fed those dogs and they said Origen and gave it a wonderful endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    GREAT food, Orijen. Top of my list if ever I need to feed kibble for whatever reason.

I don't know if Natura has a line appropriate for pups, but Dallas orijen would be a great one for you if you're looking for top of the line kibble. dogfoodanalysis.com says its not OK for pups, but thats based on antiquated, flawed studies that linked excessive protein with growth issues. Those studies have since been found to be false in their findings. This is one of the only issues I disagree with the DFA site on.

They make a LBP formula. Here's a link to their store locator if you're interested: http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/storeLocator/

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Just about every dog food except Eukanuba and ProPlan was included in a recall.
    Just came across this (ProPlan's not listed):

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 10-11-2009 at 12:12 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I thought that several years back a Natura product had a recall...but I may not be recalling that correctly.
    I stopped feeding Diamond a few years back but NOT because of any recall. In fact I fed it through their recall and never crossed my mind to change.
    I started feeding ProPlan. But they then TOTALLY mucked with their formula and continually make bags smaller and raise prices! So I went back to Diamond but this time to the Naturals Chicken and Rice. I was feeding Diamond Premium Adult before.
    I LOVE this food and have been SUPER pleased with it. Dogs are in GREAT shape, great coats!
    $26 for 40lb as to the $40 for a 36 or now 33? or what ever size it is now.... No it is not always about the money but if I see good if not better results with the cheaper product I am going for it!!
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast