*Possible Puppy with JRD...:(

Thread: *Possible Puppy with JRD...:(

LuckyLabs is offline Junior Member

Default*Possible Puppy with JRD...:(

Hi there, I have a 17 week old yellow labrador who may possibly have JRD..or something wrong with his kidneys and I'm so worried about him. I have been to the vet several times and spent a lot of money on tests for him so far and now I basically just have to wait and see what happens...

His symptoms ever since I got him (was at 9 weeks old), he is constantly drinking water & peeing. I have had other dogs in my life and have never seen this behavior before...he will cry to come inside to drink water and will stand at the bowl for what seems like forever drinking.. So I had told the Vet about this and they had me monitor his drinking and he drank 2 liters of water in 24 hour peroid..oh and also when he has had accidents in the house I have noticed his urine is very dilute...Then I had the vet do an in depth blood test on him and they didn't find anything too out of the ordinary...they said everything was pretty normal..(some levels high some low but nothing to be concerned about) . Then we had a water deprivation test done on him and the good news came and he was able to concentrate his urine..But then..he went to get his last set of puppy shots yesterday and the Vet stated that he hasn't gained any weight since the last time he was there. The Vet was very concerned about this and said he should be growing more and weigh more than 25 pounds at 17 weeks...So basically she recomened I do an ultra sound sometime soon to look at his kidneys and bring him in a month to weigh him...We have already put a lot of money for him so I am planning on waiting about month and seeing how much he weighs first and just monitor him closely...

I'm here to get other peoples opinions...if anyone has had an experience with this or knows about it...do you think I have anything to worry about? Do you think he is just in the early stages of kidney problems? He is still drinking & peeing like crazy...and isn't at a good weight for his age (plus I feed him about 4-5 cups of dog food a day)

Thank you so much for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I had no idea of what JRD was so googled canine JRD and found it's Juvenile Renal Disease.

You might also google this term because one of the links mentions that there's a DNA test for it.

Good luck.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

When you hold your pup has he ever leaked urine on you? Does he leak when laying down or when just standing still? If so this can be an ectopic ureter and in most cases can be corrected via surgery. An ultrasound will show that or anything else wrong with his kidneys.

The DNA test for JRD is available at DOGenes - Genetic Testing and Research for Dogs

If you got your pup from a breeder have you notified them of the vets concerns?

What food are you feeding? If it has a lot of fillers it is most likely going right thru him and would be possibly the reason he is not gaining weight (so it may not be related to his kidneys).

Prayers it is not serious and can be corrected.
    Last edited by Snowco Labradors; 06-24-2010 at 12:22 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Hi,

I sent you a private message about your pup, just so you know, I didn't even realize there was such a function on the forum until recently.

TX911 is offline Junior Member

have you had your dog checked for ID diabetes? Or even diabetes insipidus? Start simple. Why is your vet wanting you to spend money on an MRI before he/she does something as simple as blood glucose check? How many of you offering blind advice and throwing out JRD as a probable cause actually have medical knowledge or are a medical professional with experience in diagnostics?

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

The water deprivation test is the test for diabetes insipidus, which the poster said had been done. The in depth blood test would normally include a glucose check. An MRI is not the same thing as an ultrasound. The original poster was the one suggesting JRD, the others were just trying to provide more info about testing for JRD, why get so upset?

brody is offline Senior Member

our 1 year old golden has every sign going of kidney disease

it sucks

he's on a low protein diet as well as fortekor and blood recheck in 6 weeks ...

we've talked about an ultrasound but all it would do right now is give us a base line of what his kidneys look like ... it wouldn't affect our treatment plan at all

did I mention it sucks? it does
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

debbiebeth is offline Junior Member

Hi, I came across this forum when searching for info on JRD. My dog is now a year and 4 months. He started to have problems, though around 5 mths old...drinking a lot, peeing a lot, before that, was growing very well, big puppy. Then eventually started refusing to eat and vomiting. By the time we brought him in, he had to be hospitalized and kidneys flushed with IV. Ended up treating him for infection with antibiotics, and he slowly recovered. We re-tested his kidney levels every few months and they very slowly got a little better, but never normal. Now his creatinine is 2.5, and BUN is 43, not great, but was a LOT worse! Now VET and hospital people say it has to be JRD that he was born with and we are transitioning him onto the Science diet K/D dry food. We hadn't done the low protein food yet, but I realized this summer, every time he got extra treats, he would be up at night drinking more and panting more, so we figured it had to be the protein in the chicken treats, vet agreed. Vet says he could live a pretty good life, but sometimes these pups get worse. Good luck, personally, I wish I'd put him on the low protein diet sooner. I didn't do the kidney biopsy, too expensive, but they keep finding no sign of infection. Tell the breeder, if the vet thinks it is JRD, we need to put a stop to people selling these dogs .

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Hi Debbie-

You responded to a post that is more than a year old - I don't think the OP will see it. Good to know you are managing your dog's disease effectively.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

debbiebeth is offline Junior Member

Oh, I'm sorry! That's right, it is 2011!
    Thank you!