Brusing Teeth

Thread: Brusing Teeth

Carla is offline Member

DefaultBrusing Teeth

Hi All,

I have been looking for information regarding brushing my lab's teeth and haven't found any info on here, but I may not be looking in the right spot (fairly new here). Do you brush your dogs teeth? If so, at what age did you start and do you have any suggestions on how?

Thanks in advance,
    Carla

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Yep, we brush teeth here, every other day. We try for every day but sometimes I forget. lol. I use a baby toothbrush and dog toothpaste that we got from the vet... ours is vanilla mint flavoured (also comes in chicken). I started brushing both of the boyz' teeth from the time they came home at 8 weeks... if your pup is young, you may only be able to do a little bit a time, just like getting them used to having their paws handled and nails clipped. Henry (he's 7 now) will sit still and let me do all of his teeth and tongue, while Ollie is a bit more wiggly, and likes to chew on the toothbrush.

As far as how I do it, I kinda headlock them with my left arm and hold them under their chin (so that we're facing the same way), and then brush with my right.
    Last edited by Henery&Ollie's mom; 06-18-2010 at 12:48 PM.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK gets her teeth brushed daily. Started at about 9 months when you dental isues were identified. She is 3.5 now and she knows when it is time and we have no arguments about it, other than trying to lick all the toothpaste off the brush before I can get it in her mouth.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.