neurological testing (not my Lab)

Thread: neurological testing (not my Lab)

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Defaultneurological testing (not my Lab)- update 7/5/2010

UPDATE: Halle has had some very bad days and some not so bad. We will be going to a board certified neurologist on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday, I was convinced that she wasn't going to live until Wednesday. Since then she has been somewhat more active. By that I mean she actually takes a little walk on her potty trips. That is it for activity.

As for treatment plans, we have not had one. All that I have been doing for the past 3 weeks is making her life very quiet and safe and to let her heal if she somehow had some muscle or tissue injury.

Please send good JL vibes for a great little dog. My feet have been very lonely the past couple of months. Since I retired in 2006 the dogs have been my constant companions around home.

END OF UPDATE

My JRT has been having problems for the past few months. I had mentioned to the vet that she seemed off and a little ouchy in the rear legs. Nothing that kept her down, but just seemed to want to take it easy with the jumping. In April when I did the heartworm test, I mentioned it again. Also that she had recently started snoring. She is 8 and has never snored. At my insistance they did a CBC and her whitecell count was mildly high. So amoxicillin was prescribed. The snoring did quit, but her being 'off' in the rear did not improve and seemed some worse. I talked to vet 1 again and he said to bring her in and get some pain meds and that an x-ray would probably not show anything. Enter vet #2 for another opinion. He did x-rays, Lyme test, CBC. Absolutely nothing amiss to be seen. By now the dog has been skunked, started heartworm meds, and had 1 dose of K-9 Advantix. During this time she is no longer jumping on anything, stumbled occasionally on steps and remains in her bed longer and longer. Vet #3, recommended by vet #2, did digital x-rays and a complete tick panel and another white cell count. Absolutely nothing off. But reflex tests showed that her right hind leg was not reflexing properly. Meanwhile he prescribed doxycycline and she has shown improvement, particularly in not being so lethargic. Actually showing an interest in life now. Vet 3 wants to do neurological testing. My questions are: What does this involve as far as what they do to the dog? She has been thru a lot already. What might be an outcome? Would this find something treatable or just satisfy the want to know what is wrong? I have spent $1200 already and know nothing. I just don't know what to think. Any ideas.
    Last edited by RebaHalle; 07-05-2010 at 07:52 PM.
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I recommend Coll/SchlVetMed Teaching Hospitals. They have the best diagnostic equipment and better than average diagnosticians.

I find the costs at KSU's CVM-TH to be significantly less than that charged in Topeka and the quality of service is better, 90% of the time. I went there for my Bess's mammary gland surgery when cancer was found at her age 7 and she lived almost 7 more years. She would have died within a year if I'd let the local vet who found the cancer operate because he would not have seen that the cancer had metastasized to her lymph.

Similarly with Puff.

A recent bout of vomiting & diarrhea with anorexia propelled me there. Their diagnostic work discovered, kind of through the back door, what her symptoms were due to -- an unusual, formerly rare, parasitic fluke which is typical in Louisiana but, before this, rare to Kansas. IMO it's doubtful ANY vet in Topeka would have discovered this.

The link to CVM services at IU in Urbana is Veterinary Teaching Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

You can ask your vet for a referral there.

Nothing is more costly than a wrong diagnosis and treatment.

Also, IIRC, Ohio State's CollVetMed in Columbus, OH, allows self-referrals (without referral by a vet). Several JL members 5 or so years ago used OSU and all were pleased with their services.

Best wishes, good luck!!

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 06-27-2010 at 01:13 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

brody is offline Senior Member

neurological exams are usually for diagnostic purposes
    they rarely (in my case with 4 consults under my belt have yet to) change treatment plans

scary to watch for you - I hope halle mends and apologizes for scaring you so
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Bumping for good vibes on Wednesday.
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for your pup. I hope you have a simple course of treatment and positive outcome.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

brody is offline Senior Member

hoping they can give you soe useful info
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller