Pro Plan

Thread: Pro Plan

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultPro Plan

I didn't want to hijack the other thread about Don and his new pup to ask about food.

We have been feeding Pro Plan for about a year and have been happy. I have heard all the "bad" press about the Shreds, and just wondered if there was anything to read about the soy not being good for the dogs. I picked up a bag of the Shreds the other day because I was doing the 200# deal at Petco with a 10% coupon that was expiring (and it was on sale to boot!), and I needed 6 bags, and they only 5 of what I wanted. So I thought I would try it. The dogs like it, they nab the shreds like they were treats.

Jed, who's been very picky lately, seems to like it alot...though that could correspond with a decrease in food the boys got. Both boys went off food for about 4 days (other than cooked chicken I had to force them to eat) during Grace's heat, and when they went back on...I cut them back--Jack because he was too heavy and Jed because I thought he would be more inclined to eat with gusto if he was getting less.

Normally, everyone eats Performance, except Hudler and Maddy who eat Selects Salmon. I don't think they need the added boost of Performance anymore, so if the Shreds really isn't that good, I'll just do the trip to Petsmart instead for the plain Chicken and Rice (Petco doesn't carry it).

So is the deal with the Shreds just that it's soy based and not good for the dogs or were folks having stomach issues like for example when Canidae changed their formula?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DonCoryon is offline Member

Labby said that soy mimics estrogen. How that is good/bad I have no idea.

nicole is offline Senior Member

I know a number of people who feed shreds and they're happy but they say they have to feed a bit more to hold weight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

We have fed Pro Plan for years. Our dogs thrive on it. But when they changed to the shreds....I just did not like the looks of it. The girls ate it but I wasn't happy. We went to the ProPlan Selects chicken & brown rice & the girls love it & their coats are shiny & no allergy problems. I think I read on here that Purina went back to their original forumla for ProPlan but I have not seen it yet. Kate will be weaned soon from Ehance puppy to the Selects also. We were debating about going to PP Performance for hunting & hunt test season but I hate to change when Selects is working so well for them.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Nicole, since everyone here needs a little slimming down due to the winter, maybe it's a good thing what you heard about needing more to hold the weight.

We can get the original formula, but I have to buy it elsewhere.

Grace will be back on Performance in another week or so as she gets close to whelping anyway.

labby is offline Senior Member

Many dogs have sensitivities to soy. What bothers me the most is that soy mimics estrogen in the body. Think about it, menopausal women take soy for hot flashes and other menopause symptoms. Do you really want a male dog to have something that mimics estrogen?? Do you really want a breeding animal possibly producing more estrogen? Not me.

Laura

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

most dogs do not tolerate soy. Soy = GAS!

My cousin switched her dogs to PP Beef shreds a few months ago and she said her adult dog had become more gassy. The pup was always gassy . While I was with her my Trouble was picking out some of the shreds and eating them...that little 2 pound dogs could blow gas to clear a room!!
    She has since switched her dogs off and NO gas!
    Kim

melsdad is offline Junior Member

This is new to me,and I am still learing, but what are "Shreds"?