help she ate stuff again
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help she ate stuff again

scutter is offline Senior Member

Defaulthelp she ate stuff again

I am really concerned about my 15 month old yellow female. I was hoping that she would grow out of it but she eats and swallows all sorts of things. so far 4 socks, 1 pair of panties, one dish rag, one rock, she has pulled siding off of the garage all around where she could reach. she has pulled all of the limbs off of the peach tree that she could reach. she has pooped out things that I can not even tell what they are.

I am worried about her health, I am worried when I have to leave her at a dog sitter. We try to watch her but unless I keep her in a kennel all of the time, she gets things that I don't even know when she is getting them.

I am trying to train her for hunt test as a hunting dog but am really concerned about her constantly eating things.

Will she grow out of it?? she is a loving dog however I got her for hunting and if we can't get beyond the constant drama, it is hard to enjoy the dog as a companion or a pet.

Has anyone had a similar experience?? she seems to be eating most of the stuff when she is out of her kennel in the house with us. I have no clue when she ate the rock.

So far she has thrown up or pooped out everything but I am concerned. She has not yet been spayed as I wanted her to get some growth and development as she is a small lab (51 lbs) before I have her neutered. Is there any possiblity that spaying will help with the eating everything???

yes I have talked with my vet about the neutering and he is fine with letting her develop to the max before neutering.

Help

Thanks
    Benenlli's buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

She is small, HK is 56 lbs and small for a Lab. But she is my best friend and we love her.

Regarding the eating. I have some bad news for you. Your dog is apparently a poor teacher. '4 socks, 1 pair of panties, one dish rag,' It is obvious that the dog has some difficult students and has to work harder with them. She has to get them to pick up and put away those items not meant to be eaten by animals. These items being eaten are your failure, not the dogs. You can fix this part really easy. Pick up your stuff, the dog has told you that she will eat it if you don't. What are you waiting for? Will it take a blockage that either costs you a lot of money or her life for you to figure it out?

Okay, that was mean. I was just trying to make the point. The stuff outside! You are going to have to be diligent and stop it. Rocks, and tree branches are tough to put away and out of reach, so it becomes diligent observation and not letting her get away with it. I doubt this is something that is outgrown, being that the dog is 15 months already. You are going to have to be proactive and teach her it is not acceptable.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

scutter is offline Senior Member

Thanks for your reply. Although I feel that I must respond. Socks from a clothes basket, dishtowels from a counter, panties from the trash, rocks from who knows where, limbs from a tree. It is not like this stuff is just laying on the floor next to her. All you have to do is to forget to close a bedroom door or a bathroom door. If you have grandkids over or company over and they forget to close a door etc. We try to close all of the doors, We try to watch her but apparantly this can happen in less time than a tv commercial. I love my dogs, this is the third lab that I have owned and never had anything similar to these types of problems with the other 2 labs. I am spending lots of money and lots of time energy and resources to train this dog and am beginning to question the wisdom. I have no doubt that many people will disagree with, however as difficult as the choice would be, I may have to decide that this particular lab is not a match for my wife and I. If she will not grow out of it and I have to look forward to constantly keeping an eye on her then she is not a good match for us. Even grandkids grow out of things. We have had 3 children and 5 grandchildren and have been able to baby proof our home but Zoey is far worse than a baby.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to tell me that it is all my fault and that it doesn't have anything to do with the dog.

Benelli's Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

Murphy was a horrible chewer. He actually taught my kids (sometimes) to pick up their shoes and toys. Molly had several dolls beheaded before I could get them back from him. Hang in there and watch her like a hawk. Puppies are not easy, but with lots of patience they grow up!!! Murphy still chews but has somewhat learned what's appropriate. =)

MurphySullyHogan

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post

Regarding the eating. I have some bad news for you. Your dog is apparently a poor teacher. '4 socks, 1 pair of panties, one dish rag,' It is obvious that the dog has some difficult students and has to work harder with them. She has to get them to pick up and put away those items not meant to be eaten by animals. These items being eaten are your failure, not the dogs. You can fix this part really easy. Pick up your stuff, the dog has told you that she will eat it if you don't. What are you waiting for? Will it take a blockage that either costs you a lot of money or her life for you to figure it out?

Okay, that was mean. I was just trying to make the point. The stuff outside! You are going to have to be diligent and stop it. Rocks, and tree branches are tough to put away and out of reach, so it becomes diligent observation and not letting her get away with it. I doubt this is something that is outgrown, being that the dog is 15 months already. You are going to have to be proactive and teach her it is not acceptable.
    Ed....I found that reply upsetting and it was not even my dog you were talking about. You definitely hit a nerve. A very sensitive one. I have no idea why you are SO harsh with people anymore. Have you ever actually had a dog that eats stuff? I don't mean just here and there eating.....I mean obsessive eating of non edibles? I would refrain from assuming that this person is keeping stuff laying around the house(although that might be the case....perhaps you could just say..."try and keep stuff up and away or else it could cost a lot of money and heartache" I will never forget being in the emergency room waiting to go in with Huckle and conversing with the other people in the waiting room about what they were there for. A man with a Dalmation told me that I should not even own a dog because it was my fault Huckle kept getting obstructions. I am a very shy, non confrontation person but I am telling you that if they had not called us into the exam room at the very minute I would have gone over and punched this guy in the face. HOW DARE HE! He has NEVER owned my dog and has no idea what it is like to have a dog that like.

I did not leave stuff laying around. I was diligent with keeping stuff up and away. I had no "students" to teach... had no children. But this did not prevent my dog from having 5 emergency bowel resections(one in which they opened him up and found nothing!) Do you think I wanted this to happen? That I liked to throw my money away and put Huckles life at risk?????

Of course I also want to mention that lots of people I know have dogs that eat socks and end up pooping them out regularly. This was not the case with Huckle. He never pooped a sock out. If he ate it, it got stuck. Once he ate a baby gap sock and got an obstruction.

To the original poster. I feel for you. Huckle's last bowel surgery was when he was about 8 years old. So, it was either just good luck or else he grew out of it. I will never know. I was fortunate that Huckle never had any interest in rocks.

Good luck. Part of me thinks that maybe they eat stuff like that because of a nutritional deficiency or stomach issue. I found out that Huckle was allergic to eggs when he was about 10. I switched his food and I think that this many have helped stop his habit.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

My first Lab chewed everything.She outgrew it about 18 months. Kassy became my soul mate and companion and I am sure training and keeping her brain busy helped.

I now have an 8 year old chewer. He was 3.5 when I adopted him and very experienced. He would run away with the sock, then 3 foot in front of me rip it. Training him has helped.

I make sure stuff isn't within his reach. Hair brushes, remote controls, blankets on beds, cushions, you name it is chewed. There is nothing in the house that hasn't been chewed. He isn't as bad as when I first got him, but there are times he slips.
    I have gates on all the doors to stop him getting into the rooms. We take our shoes off when we come in so often shoes are near the door.
    I trained both of them to get my slippers for me when I come in at night and put my shoes away.He gets a treat.Never touched a slipper or shoe since. My crocs are another thing. He likes to take them to bed. Socks and clothes I taught him to put in the laundry if he touched them. Again praise. He hasn't chewed a sock since. New trousers, skirts, he will chew the pockets out before I wear them, if I don't put them away or close the door or gate.

He chewed the vets hand towel one day while the vet was showing me his xrays after $1800.00surgery to remove corn cobs he had got into at work.

I would not change my precious boy for the world. He is who he is and I adore him. Keeping gates on doors and being careful are a small price to pay for the enjoyment he gives me.
    Last edited by kassabella; 05-24-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hey Scutter, how much exercise does she get? Sounds like she's bored.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Yes Labs will eat any thing and every thing. You gotta watch them like a hawk!

dogmom is offline Senior Member

We too had a Lab that was a "challenge". Quaid was my husband heart dog and one of the best dogs we have ever shared our lives with. BUT for the first 3 years of his life, our house and yard was never without evidence that a Lab with oral issues lived here.

While we were eating dinner at the table, he chewed THROUGH, yep, through a chair leg. Hubbie thought he was sleeping under the table, never heard a sound while his was imitating a beaver. Several mornings later while cooking breakfast, Quaid managed to pull off an area of wall paper the size of a VW. He was leashed to me while I was in the kitchen so I could keep an eye on him. He destroyed 3 crates and while crated, somehow moved the crate 4 feet across the room and pulled the bedspread into the crate and ate it. Destroyed a couch, a loveseat, a seat belt in my car (while seatbelted into his seat). All of these things occured while "supervised". For the exception of the couch, that happened when he chewed out of the crate while I was at a Dr. appt.

Never saw a dog so sweet or so incredibly quiet while munching through our house and yard. Our yard drip system was replaced uncountable times, our now huge mesquite tree has a lovely bend in the trunk due to Quaid stripping the bark off one side, done while husband was replacing drip system. I finally placed an electric fence wire around all my flower beds, trees and bushes. THAT did keep him away from them.

Quaid ate the seat off hubbys Police motorcycle. That went over well at the department. Spa cover, baseboards, carpet. All chewed.

He did on occasion, get a shoe or ball cap or such. Those were our failures, kids did become much better about picking up their things when they learned not just that I would not replace those items but also how dangerous it could be for the dog.

This dog was walked several times daily, spent "retrieve" time morning, noon and night, had other dogs to play with, would sleep so deep afterwards that he snored. All in all, spent more time exercising and supervising dog that any pet we have ever had. And yet, there were times he was able to damage things. Were these our failures as well, yeah, I guess they were. But people are people, we let our guards down at times, lose focus for a minute. That is all it takes with some of these dogs.

One of our favorite sayings is "a tired dog is a good dog". This never was applicable to Quaid when he was a youngster, even exhausted, he wasn't trustworthy.

I have to tell you, Quaid was worth every minute. I would gladly go through that all again to have him with us. At the time it was happening, you might have gotten a different answer : ) but sometimes our greatest challenges are our greatest blessings.

Quaid was primarily field lines, had incredible energy till the day he died. Although I dont feel that his lines made him a buzz saw, that was just his personality, and all of those things made him the fantastic dog he was. His breeder kept two of his litter mates within the family and neither of them were chewers.

Hang in there, this dog may develope into the best dog you have ever lived with. She may just need more time to mature.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

agree with Amy - how much exercise is she getting? (physical AND mental) Is she from a very high-drive line?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast