Large Puppy food help!

Thread: Large Puppy food help!

fabs109 is offline Junior Member

DefaultLarge Puppy food help!

Hello all, this is my first post! I have a yellow lab and at 8 weeks he is 20.2 lbs. His father and brothers from the prior litter are 115-120 lbs. He is already growing faster than them at his age, the breeder kept track of all the weights for all them. First born and biggest. He is my first puppy and I am still learning a lot. Now my question is, I had originally read that puppy foods were just a marketing thing and not a big deal. That skipping to adult food is fine as long as you slowly wean them from the puppy food. We just took him to the vet where we were told that he needs to be on a Large Breed Puppy food because they can grow too fast and this will higher his chances of hip and joint Dysplasia also I know that the first ingredients are most important and should be mostly meat and brown rice and some good veggies, I found Kirkland is a great brand and bought the adult food. Should I switch to a puppy food and do large breed or is the Kirkland Adult food OK for him (Buckley). Also Kirkland's Puppy food looks really good but it doesn't say large breed or small breed! Any suggestions will be much appreciated thanks a lot!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fabs109; 05-17-2010 at 11:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hauts is offline Member

I've read on this board that Kirkland is a decent food and the price isn't too bad, but I don't know much about it. It might not say adult or puppy because it is an all-life stages food. I would get him on a large breed puppy food because you don't want him to grow too fast. This can cause problems with his skeletal development as you mentioned and/or also mange. They can get mange from the bacteria on their skin because their immune system cannot keep up with the size of their body, allowing the bacteria to go unchecked in certain areas. The main thing you don't want in a puppy food is too much protein or calcium. A mix of meat, veggies, fruits and quality grains are what I would suggest in a puppy food. Rice is usually a decent grain. I would stay away from any food with a lot of wheat or corn/corn gluten. I have my pup on Wellness Super5 Mix for Large Breed Puppy. It has very good mixes of protein, veggies, and grains and a supposed regulated amount of calcium to ensure your pup doesn't grow too fast. She comes from a 90+ lbs. dad and 60+ lbs mom and she is only 31 lbs. at 6 months. I definitely don't have to worry about her growing too much too soon. 20 lbs at 8 weeks is huge! Check out Wellness, but it is a little pricey. Either way, look for a food that doesn't have too much meat or calcium.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I suggest "Diamond Naturals" LBP food. (NOT "Diamond," a lower grade food.)

This is made by the same company that makes the Kirkland products. While the Kirkland products carry a statement that says they are good for all ages of dogs, a food especially formulated for LBP (those dogs that will weigh more than 50 lbs. as adults) will be FAR, FAR better for your Lab.

Dog food products formulated for LB puppies have the correct balance of Calcium, Phosphorus, and K-calories to promote proper growth and proper development of joints -- the joint problems that afflict at least 1/3rd of Labs.

Here's a link to places that sell these products: Pet Nutrition Retailers for Diamond Pet Foods

At 12 months of age, you can switch to Costco's Kirkland C, R & V
    Last edited by Bob Pr.; 05-18-2010 at 01:18 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Many, many breeders do not feed a puppy food at all. As long as the food is labeled "all-life stages" you're fine to just feed an adult food.

Laura

fabs109 is offline Junior Member

Winkthanks all

Thanks everyone for the reply's. I took Bobs advice and went with the Diamond Naturals! It seems like a great food and good price! All very good ingredients and its Large Breed Puppy! Buckley seems to love it!!