Vet requiring Canine Flu vac before surgery

Thread: Vet requiring Canine Flu vac before surgery

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

QuestionVet requiring Canine Flu vac before surgery

I called and scheduled Laddie for surgery today (surgery on Wed) and they told me they require both bordatello and canine flu vac prior to surgery. He doesn't have bordatello as he doesn't go anywhere to need it. The flu vac I never really payed any attention to or thought about and I am really not excited about him having it. I searched old posts on here and I think most people have not gotten the flu vac for their dogs and are not going to either. I googled it and there was lots of info, but I couldn't find anything compelling that was for or against it. I just thought it was strange for the vet to require it for a surgery, especially one that I am going to take him and pick him up on the same day, no overnight. And my second question, even if he gets the flu shot that day, I wouldn't think he is going to be protected immediately that same day? Am I just over reacting to this? Or am I right to question this? Also from what I could find I think the flu vac is a two shot series given several weeks apart.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

The vet I used to work at requires more vaccines than just those two. They probably require the bordetella because Laddie will be staying at the vet, at least for a few hours, and could potentially catch it or give it to another dog. It's very contagious and can lead to pneumonia.

The parainfluenza vaccine is normally given together with others as a combo vaccine, such as canine distemper (upper respiratory virus), adenovirus (hepatitis), and parvovirus... most places call it the DA2PP or DHPP. It's a pretty common requirement around here for surgery. If Laddie has never had it before, it will need to be boostered at least once.

I can't say for sure that it would kick in immediately.. sometimes I think it's just a way to get $$. My vet is a little bit more flexible with people, especially with older dogs, but rabies is ALWAYS required prior to surgery.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    ...The parainfluenza vaccine is normally given together with others as a combo vaccine, such as canine distemper (upper respiratory virus), adenovirus (hepatitis), and parvovirus... most places call it the DA2PP or DHPP. It's a pretty common requirement around here for surgery. If Laddie has never had it before, it will need to be boostered at least once...
    Justine, I think she's talking about the new Canine Flu, not the parainfluenza.

You're in NJ, right? There was an influx of that new canine flu awhile ago, so maybe that's why. As to why, even tho you're picking him up the same day- probably because he'll be in close proxminity to other dogs for the day. I was hearing of dogs picking it up at dog parks, shows, etc. But yeah, it doesn't make any sense to me to give it the day he'll be there. Same with the bordatello.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

All the other stuff he gets. The bordatello we just haven't done because he hasn't been boarded in years. But the influenza one threw me. I guess I didn't know it is given as part of a combo vaccine. My records from his shots in January list DHLPP, so maybe he already has it?

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Justine, I think she's talking about the new Canine Flu, not the parainfluenza.

You're in NJ, right? There was an influx of that new canine flu awhile ago, so maybe that's why. As to why, even tho you're picking him up the same day- probably because he'll be in close proxminity to other dogs for the day. I was hearing of dogs picking it up at dog parks, shows, etc. But yeah, it doesn't make any sense to me to give it the day he'll be there. Same with the bordatello.
    Okay, now I'm confused. But I think it is the Canine Flu because they said they require it since there was an outbreak in a neighboring county. I'm in South Carolina.

justine is offline Senior Member

Ohhh, see we haven't had that yet! Well I would talk to your vet about them, especially the flu vax... Sorry no advice on that one if its the new canine flu!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would discuss this further with your vet. I would not want to vaccinate immediately prior to anesthesia for surgery. I would ask the vet about the safety of that as well.

From what I know it does not take a whole lot of time (length of exposure) to pick up KC (never had a case and do not use Bordatella) so wouldn't they worry about every patient walking in the door for general check ups?