Distended Belly - Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Distended Belly - Help

DefaultDistended Belly - Help

Okay. so I took Maggie to the vet for her vaccines and the vet really freaked me out. He said that her distended belly might be more of a problem than just worms...he felt her tummy up and said her liver felt a bit enlarged and how it should of cleared up by now - but then he realized she had only been de-wormed 5 days ago and that he might of jumped the gun.

so....is there any way to help a puppy get over a distended belly if its just due to worms and some over eating? I am pretty sure I have actually been feeding her too much, the vet says even though she looks lab in the face, she might only reach 30 pounds, and I've been feeding her according to a 50+ pound at mature weight....She got about 3 cups of food yesterday, but today will only be getting about 2 cups. After she ate yesterday her belly definitely got bitter - could it be she just over ate and ate way too quickly? I am really worried, but for now the vet said to just give it some time to see if it goes away naturally before we do tests to see if there really is something wrong.

she is over her diarrhea.
    she is gaining weight
    she is playful and happy
    her eyes and ear are clear and bright
    her skin and coat is healthy

her only real problem is that belly...and it's terrifying me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How old is she and how much does she weigh now? BTW, gluttony is a trait of most Labs.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

She is 6-7 weeks old and weighs 7lbs. She only weighed 5lbs when I found her, exactly one week ago.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My 7 pound puppy (who is now 20lbs) ate 1.5 cups of large breed puppy food divided into four meals. He has continued to do well and is doing fine. I would cut back on the food and see if that is the problem.

Robin

Okay. Cutting back the food. I will start measuring it out in the morning and feeding it to her in small increments over the course of the day, which I do now - I just will keep better track of the amount for sure.

Here are some photos of her - I tried to get some good ones of her belly....

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/m...dajean/Maggie/

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yikes - that seems like an awful lot of food for that little a puppy. For starters - you never want to go by what the bag says - it is usually too much. It is based on "we want to sell you a whole lot of dog food" not what your dog actually needs.

I would feed her 1/2 cup at a time 3 times a day. Soak the food (warm water) before you feed her too, it will keep it from expanding a lot in her belly. She still is young enough to be in the litter (responsible breeders keep puppies to 8 weeks) and would be eating pretty mushy food with her littermates.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Hi,

ok soaking in water...check.

she wasn't in a "litter" persay - I found in a box at the cart return of a grocery store. So... :-)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amandajean1 View Post
    Hi,

ok soaking in water...check.

she wasn't in a "litter" persay - I found in a box at the cart return of a grocery store. So... :-)
    Oh, I know that - I'm just saying that when a breeder (or someone with an OOPS litter) does the responsible thing they don't let puppies go until 8 weeks. Of course, someone who abandons a puppy in a shopping cart is simply a scumbag.

Puppies will have very round bellies after each meal - not alarmingly distended, but not barely rounded like an adult dog would have.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Unfortunately this is a bit alarmingly distended, even to me, someone who hasn't been around puppies in a long time knew this wasn't quiet right....

hopefully the soaked food and smaller portions will help the matter.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Never soak kibble in warm water. It starts a fermentation process that can cause bloat. Please do not soak in warm water. You can put some cold water on the food if you need to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast