Parker Needs To Slim Down

Thread: Parker Needs To Slim Down

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultParker Needs To Slim Down

Parker does need to lose some weight. Not sure of the best way to go about it. He currently gets two cups of One a day,along with various treats. Should I get a different weight loss sort of food and mix it with the regular or just start the regular. Linus eats the same thing but he could stand to use a few pounds also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

feed less of his regular food - add green beans which will help fill him up with fewer calories. Substitute carrots or green beans for treats - and cut the treats WAY back. More exercise (lots of fetch will help).

Diet food usually has tons of filler in it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

When HK was a bit over a year old, the vet told me she was a little pudgy. Right! I think the vet is anorexic, but she is a good vet and although I disagreed, I listened. She had been getting 1 cup of food twice a day, plus training treats and plenty of exercise. Vet said cut her back to 3/4 cup twice a day. That what we did, and her weight dropped about 5 lbs over two months and that is where she has been since (3+ years old) on food portion and weight. (56 slim lbs.)
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Cut the food back and substitute with green beans, carrots and peas. (Canned, no salt works great). I wouldn't change the kind of dry food he's on.
    Java is laid up recovering from knee surgery and I'm trying to get a few pounds off of her. I cut her food back to 3/4 cup in the morning, 3/4 cup at night with carrots, green beans or peas mixed in.

mombear is offline Senior Member

Are all these veggies going to make his poo mushy? Or will he poo more? Also if I buy canned beans/peas and rinse them with cold water will that get rid of most of the salt.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mombear View Post
    Are all these veggies going to make his poo mushy? Or will he poo more? Also if I buy canned beans/peas and rinse them with cold water will that get rid of most of the salt.
    It shouldn't make his poo mushy. Java and Moka don't have mushy poops and they both have veggies every day.
    You can rinse them with cold water, but it's better to buy the No Salt Added canned veggies....they do sell them at the supermarket with the other canned veggies. Or, you could just buy the bags of frozen veggies. My girls like those in the summer when it's hot...and they like that they're crunchy (I give them to the frozen, right out of the bag, no thawing).

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Re: treats -- measure out in advance the food you'd normally give daily and take any treats from that quantity.

Re: green beans → when Puff began gaining a bit of weight, I decreased slightly the amount of kibble she was getting at each meal plus also added a cup of cooked frozen string beans to her supper meal. I cook up about 3 meals worth of string beans at a time and keep the surplus in the refrigerator.

I buy 5 lbs. bags of these frozen whole string beans at Sam's Club for about $5. These fill her up plus add a bit of fiber to her diet. Since they're raw in the bag, they have no salt and I add none.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

whitetiger is offline Junior Member

Our Lab has a very large frame...she is tall and long, and very overweight! She weighed in at 113lbs about 4 months ago. She had become a lot less active after her cancer surgery, and we had recently learned she had hip dysplasia, and we needed to get some weight off. We are following our vet's instructions and feeding her Medi Cal Weight Mangement. Her food intake at this point is for about a 50lb dog. I found the trick was to feed more often, but little portions at a time. I think their eating is psycological Also, try giving them an ice cube, that will curb their "hunger". Our lab after 4 months is down at LEAST 11lbs.

whitetiger is offline Junior Member

Oh...and we only give her treats from the vet's that are low in fat, and we deduct from her food the amount of calories she has eaten in these treats. She no longer gets the "store bought treats" that are high in fat (including milk bones)....and she no longer gets those bones with the bone marrow in them!