Puppy hearing issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy hearing issues

sasmith13 is offline Junior Member

PostPuppy hearing issues

We just got a 8 week old puppy yesterday from a breeder to be with our 12yr old lab. Yesterday afternoon we started to notice that the puppy seemed like it could not hear us. This morning it seemed very sluggish and tired and while sleeping i came up behind him and made whistling noises and clapped and he kept on sleeping like i was not even there. Were scared it might be deaf although it does seem to notice other sounds like a moped that went dwn the street yesterday. Today while playing outside i called it again and got no response. Any ideas could it be deaf or????? I know that I read that they are born deaf but the canals open in 13 to 17 days. This is really bothering my wife and I (we cant see the vet until mon morning). Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Have you brought up your concerns with the breeder?

Yes they said they would be happy to refund the money and take the dog back, but that's not what we want to do we have a 3yr old child that is already head over heals for the dog just like we are. I guess were hoping that the ears are not developed yet fully or maybe something that can be fixed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds to me like he is less alert and not reacting versus truly having trouble hearing. If he reacted to the moped - then he can hear.

Please do keep in mind that leaving the litter and coming to your home is a pretty stressful event for a puppy and it could be that he is a very sensitive pup who is kind of "shutting down" from the change.

He should see the vet anyway - and hopefully he will be behaving in a more engaged and alert manner after couple of days at your house. I do imagine that hearing issues could be present - but it could just as easily be as I described.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

hauts is offline Member

I agree with BigBrownDog. It very well could be the stress of the move. You just got him yesterday so he's going to be stressed out and most likely tired and sluggish because of that. He will not know his name yet as I assume he was just named yesterday? That and a new puppy in a new environment will be taking everything in so he might not respond because he is interested in the coffee table at the moment more than he is looking at you. :-) Give him another day or two and see how that goes. Congrats on your new pup!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would bet it's more likely that he's ignoring you in a self-preservation, too-much-stimulus-at-once, not-sure-what-to-make-of-this-new-place kind of way. That and Baloo sleeps like a log, always has. When he's out cold I could whistle and clap all I wanted and get no response, both now and as a pup.

Still take him to the vet as thats a given within the first week of owning a new puppy, but I really wouldn't be overly concerned.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'd be more concerned (and disappointed) that the only reaction from the breeder was "bring him back" - they didn't notice any problems before he left? Give you any advice about what to ask the vet? A good breeder is there with information and support throughout the puppy's life.

Good luck at the vet's this morning.

banoel is offline Senior Member

I bet it's the stress of the new environment. Good luck and keep us posted.
    - Never trust a dog to guard your food -

Beck's Frequent Flyer (Miles) 1/26/10
    Beck's Keepin' It Simple, JH (Simon) 4/25/07
    Noel's Duncan Delight, CDX (Duncan) 1/28/97 - 10/30/08 (Miss you big guy)

labby is offline Senior Member

^^

This, but please let us know what you find out.

Laura

Thanks to everyone that replied!!!!!. We ended up taking Truman to two vets today one this morning and one just after lunch. They both said that he could hear which was great news for us and a relief. Both did their own tests and in different ways and neither knew that he went to another vet so this way we didn't have influence on the test or results. They could not say that he has good or poor hearing just that he can hear. They also did a ck up and they said that everything looked fine. He weighs 14.3 pounds and is 8 weeks 2 days today. He seems to be more responsive just as most of you said as time goes on. I hope to add a pic soon and thank you all for you advise and comments you helped more than you ever know. Sean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast