Help please! Vomiting Undigested Food and Water
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please! Vomiting Undigested Food and Water

General1061 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp please! Vomiting Undigested Food and Water

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I have a black lab, Duke, who is a little over a year old. Approximately 1-3 times per week he vomits undigested food and water. This usually occurs after he has been in his crate for a few hours. He eats, drinks, pees, and poops regularly. He is on Nutro Large Breed Puppy food and I water it down when I feed him. I feed him 1.5 cups in the morning and another 1.5 cups at night. Does anyone have any idea on what may cause this or what can be done to fix it? I apologize if this question has been asked, but I did perform a search and was unable to find any similar threads. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

1-3 times per week for multiple weeks?

(1) I would consult my vet, and reading the rest of this would be very unimportant.
    (2) Just thinking with my fingers. Do you watch him eat. Does he seem to eat faster before those times when he brings it all back up? Put somethig like a ball in the dish to slow him down, or get one of the bowls designed to do just that.
    (3) Is he just off significant exercize before he eats, or after he eats, before he regurgitates? Obvious action if the answer is yes.
    (4) Is there any unique treat, beyond his meal portion associated?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He's old to be on puppy food at this point and Nutro is frequently recalled. A food switch is in order IMO. And - that much inconsistent vomitting in an otherwise healthy dog could indicate a transient blockage of some sort. Or - he could just have a whoopsy stomach and need something like Pepcid with meals to settle. But seriously - change the food.

You really should get to a vet asap.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have spoken to the vet on a few occasions. They think it may be that he is eating too much food too fast. After doing more research, I am starting to think he may have a food allergy. He also scratches his head and chews (not to the point of breaking skin) on his paws. Any recommendations on a good food for a dog with food allergies? The vet has also said I should try an indigestion medicine, like Pepcid, so I will probably try that as well.

There are bowls you can buy that force the dog to eat more slowly. Or you can put big rocks in his dish or spread it out on a cookie sheet.

Again - if he is exhibiting allergy symptoms I would look for a better food. Maybe one with few or no grains.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Go with a grain-free food such as Evo or Wellness Core or Blue or Taste of the Wild, etc. That should help with the itches.

suzieQ is offline Member

did you have any luck with this yet?

when my chocolate was the same age this started with her. It usually occured right after she ate. Took her to a vet who said she has a condition called "megaesophagus" which is just as it sounds, her esophagus is enlarged or not strong enough or something. But it's not a big deal. I never let her eat her food from the floor, it is always elevated to about the level of her chest or higher, and it doesn't happen anymore. Good luck!

A quick update on our situation... We switched Duke to ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach and he did better for about a month and then the allergy symptoms came back worse than before. We called the vet and he told us to put him on a diet of sweet potatoes and pinto beans for 2-8 weeks (until allergy symptoms are gone) and then introduce a holistic food with beef and no grain. Does anyone know if this sounds like the right course of action? He has done pretty good on the new diet, except that he vomited up phlegm a few times today. I have a feeling the vet will tell us to give him indigestion medicine to help this. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!...

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Yes, that is the protocol for an elimination diet... the easiest way to identify a food allergen.

Yes an elimination diet is the correct path althought BEEF surprises me. It is frequently not well tolerated by sensitive dogs. There are novel protein/carb combination foods out there (fish/potato or duck/potato) which MAY be a good choice. Chicken is usually better tolerated too. Wellness makes a food called Simple Solutions (one protien/one carb) which may be a good place to start with your sensitive dog.

If he is throwing up mucous that is an indicator of an upset system. I assume it was also in his poop? One of my dogs had this when we fed her beef. Stopped completely when she was on a different protein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast