Puppy's Weight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy's Weight

hauts is offline Member

DefaultPuppy's Weight

I have been worried I'd say for the last month about my 19 week old female's size. She is only 22 lbs. To me this seems really small for her age. I have another female 6 year old chocolate lab who is 65 lbs with winter chub and about 58-60 lbs in the other three seasons. It seems to me that she grew much quicker and was much larger at this age, but it has been over 5 1/2 years and I didn't document her growth. Anyone else have a 19-20 week old female pup? If so, what's her weight...just curious? I don't expect her to get big, but I want her to be bigger than 40 lbs! 50 - 70 lbs. would be ideal. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I kept careful records of Puff's rate of development (I wanted a small Lab) and have her age X weight gain curve at hand. Puff was the runt of her litter (the reason I chose her) and she weighed only 6 lbs at 9 wks age contrasted with the 12 lbs of her other 7 littermates. (Puff comes from a long line of HT/FT Labs.)

Looking at the plotted curve of Puff's rate of weight gain (which resembles the silhouette of a USA/Can football's NW quadrant when the noses are pointed E-W) at 133 days (7 days X 19 weeks), Puff weighed 30 lbs. She matured at 62 lbs. So, from that, I'll guess yours will mature at around 45 lbs.

My first Lab, my beloved Bess, was also the runt of her litter and matured at 55 lbs. My love for her was why I picked a second "runt". (Bess came from a long line of bench Labs.)

I LOE having a smaller Lab. They fit so conveniently in so many more places. My very strong hunch is that you'll also come to LOE having such a magnificent friend in such a convenient package.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 04-16-2010 at 12:45 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

hauts is offline Member

Oh yes I do love her no matter what she turns out in weight. I was just hoping for a little bigger than 45 lbs. for hunting purposes. She must've been the runt. I didn't get to pick. The breeder picked for me so I didn't see the littermates. Her dad was 90+ lbs and her mom was around 60 lbs. Smaller is better for joints and like you say, convenience. Thank you for your info, Bob! I wish I would've documented my other lab's growth like that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hauts is offline Member

One other thing I was wondering about and forgot to ask, but could a pup's diet affect it? I have Kimber on Wellness Super5 Mix Large breed for puppies and it is supposed to be for "controlled growth". They are not supposed to shoot up which will prevent skeletal problems later on. It sounds far fetched to me, but it was something I thought might have an effect on why she's so small.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Lola weighed about 45 lbs at 24 weeks. Gracie might have been a little smaller than that.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I just checked the ingredients of that food and read the www.dogfoodanalysis review of it -- it looks like an excellent food -- dogfoodanalysis rates it as 5 stars !!!!! That's not easy to get. I think you've chosen very wisely and healthily.

And not all Labs have the same growth curve as Puff.

Some lines (such as that of the Labs at Guide Dogs in Philadelphia) have a somewhat stretched out "S" shaped curve which starts at a much lower level than Puff's curve, then crosses it and zooms up before leveling off as adulthood is reached. So it could very well be that your pup is like that. Hope so for your peace of mind. Time will tell.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

hauts is offline Member

I have done a lot of research on dog food for both my labs. I've had my older lab on TOTW, Evo, and Eagle Pack Holistic Select. My pup I've just had on this Wellness which seems to sit well with her. Soon I will be weening her off it though and put her on adult food. I will try anything to keep them young and healthy as long as I can...don't care about cost. Thanks again for the info!

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Hampton weighed 43 lbs at 19.5 weeks. He is now 7 mos old and a trim 69 lbs. His 3-yr old brother is around 80 lbs.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

hauts is offline Member

Wow jebsmama you have some big boys! By the look of the picture in your signature is he an English/show lab? A funny side note...a friend of mine got two yellow labs last fall and in February they were both 50 lbs males. He put them in training where they stayed at the trainer's kennel. He went out to visit them and they are both roughly 90 lbs! They are huge. The breeder had told him they shouldn't get much over 70 lbs. Just goes to show you never know.

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

His lines have both show/working labs. He does look more like a bench lab.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast