Puppy Fartfest

Thread: Puppy Fartfest

Lily is offline Member

Red facePuppy Fartfest

An unglamorous title for an unglamorous new trait. In the last week, Lily has developed much more frequent flatulence. Other than that, and the fact that her deposits have been a lot softer (ocassionally loose, but not watery), she has acted completely normally.

She's 7 months old and we upgraded her to Blue Buffalo Large Breed food about a month ago (from Pro Plan Selects). She did pretty well on the transition, but she was regular as clockwork on the the Pro Plan Selects. I switched her because I liked the idea that Blue Buffalo had higher quality meat and no corn, wheat, or soy. She also gets whole (cored & frozen) apples to munch on once or twice a day, but the apple-a-day (and/or a carrot now and then) have been going on for several months.)

Like any mammal, she always passed gas now and then - but this last week she's more productive than a frat boy after Taco Bell. Could it be the food - if so, why the 3-4 week delay in reaction after the full switch? (The switch was gradual, as recommended).

I'm not all that worried, but like most 7-month-old labs, I suspect she'll eat any food I put in front of her. I prefer a high quality food and really hate the lousy non-human grade "meat" being used in a lot of the most common foods out there. I suppose I'd rather have short term fruitiness than the potential long term effects of eating food with horrible ingredients.

I appreciate any insightful input ... and so does Lily!
    Last edited by Lily; 10-05-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Correcting
    Lily at 5 months old at Wrightsville Beach, NC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lily is offline Member

One more thing that may or may not be of consequence - when she patrols the backyard, she will eat a fallen leaf (or 3). As we progress into fall, her opportunities for that will increase (she especially loves chasing the wind-blown leaves). I'm guessing this is mostly harmless, but suppose it could potentially affect her gut.
    Lily at 5 months old at Wrightsville Beach, NC

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post

Like any mammal, she always passed gas now and then - but this last week she's more productive than a frat boy after Taco Bell.
    LOL!!! Bravo on the humorously descriptive prose!

I'd cut the apples way, way back. They (and carrots) are a lot of roughage which may be causing the looseness. Plus that is a lot of sugar in her diet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.