Topical Flea/tick treatments - anyone else nervous to use?

Thread: Topical Flea/tick treatments - anyone else nervous to use?

katie in mi is offline Junior Member

DefaultTopical Flea/tick treatments - anyone else nervous to use?

Hi there... I read in Dog Fancy last fall that the EPA is looking into topical flea and tick products because of 44,000 reactions reported in 2008. Adverse reactions included skin irritation, seizures, and in some cases DEATH. My Labbie hates to have it applied - it's a chase around the coffee table. I already do the Sentinel for heartworm but am concerned about ticks. What are you all doing? I did notice a new product called Shoo! Tag that uses electromagnetic frequencies that would be an option but I have only read the testimonials on the web site... Thanks in advance for any input!

Katie (& Tess)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Personally, I'd be more concerned with the Sentinel since you are giving poison for fleas internally. I haven't had fleas in eons, but I do travel a lot and so I use Frontline when I'm going to be somewhere that there are ticks. Most of the reactions I've read about are off brand knockoffs of Frontline and Advantage, like BioSpot. Sure any dog can have a reaction to anything you put on them, but I've not had any issues with them.

Laura

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Personally, I'd be more concerned with the Sentinel since you are giving poison for fleas internally. I haven't had fleas in eons, but I do travel a lot and so I use Frontline when I'm going to be somewhere that there are ticks. Most of the reactions I've read about are off brand knockoffs of Frontline and Advantage, like BioSpot. Sure any dog can have a reaction to anything you put on them, but I've not had any issues with them.
    And if you read the reports it sounds like these folks are not using it properly. I used Advantix already this year on all four.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawg52 is offline Member

No choice, fleas and ticks are bad here.
    Nap time................

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

We use Revolution on Charlotte only because she's going to daycare and we can't give oral HW preventatives right now.

Jake has had reactions to everything we've tried (Frontline Plus, Frontline, Advantix) but Advantage. We do nothing on him and watch/check closely, using Advantage only if we see a problem. I prefer not to use the topical medications if at all possible.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Try Bug Off Garlic Springtime Inc - All Natural Supplements for Horses, Dogs, and People, Springtime Inc. Supplements, Springtime Inc. for Horses, Springtime Inc. for Dogs, Springtime Inc. for People, Chondroitin sulfate, Glucosamine HCL, MSM, Vitamin C, Bioflavonoids, I have never used it but know people that get good results (including my sister). I also remember someone using some type of essential oil they spray on their dogs (that they got from a holistic vet) along with the BOG but I don't know what oil it is. It may have eucalyptus in it.

Haylie is offline Junior Member

All of my dogs get topical flea and tick.. I have dogs ranging from 6lb shih tzu to 80lb lab and they all get topical, when used properly providing dog has no allergy to medication they are helpful and safe.
    Haylie's Stars A Burnin