Too calm

Thread: Too calm

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

UnhappyToo calm

So, starting feeding Dio a new dog food last week and he's done really well on it so far. Had a healthy appetite and plenty of energy. Came home tonight, fed him, and it was painful to watch! He went from a dog that normally loves to eat and skips when you say the word "dinner", to a dog that barely gave a tail wag and took 3 times as long to eat! He is also pretty lethargic, just lying around the house looking pitiful.
    I took him on a walk after dinner and he had the runs twice, not normal. He's been on the new food for a week and he's had normal poops. We had a little girl ask to pet him and all he gave her was a lick and moved on... So not normal for him!

I dunno... My fiance says that I am worrying too much, but I dunno, I have a bad feeling about this!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

If Dinozzo stopped eating I'd worry too!!! He's a dog whose food is sucked up, he doesn't chew. The more experienced on here will be able to give you better advice, but if he's no better tomorrow, I'd be going to the vet...but then I'm a first time worrywort.

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

I would probably get the vet to check Dio out if he doesnt perk up soon. Is there any chance he could have eaten something nasty? I am not convinced that it is the new food that is the problem, normally they get an upset tummy within 24 hrs if that is causing it - in my experience. He could have something like gastroenteritis (sp?) which will give his a very upset stomach. If you put your ear to his belly you can hear the stomach making some very strange noises. Is the any mucous or blood in his poo? If so, i would be straight to the vet. Good luck, i hope he has perked up. Jeep us posted on his progress.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Well, I guess he might be feeling better... His tummy was very rumbly last night and he just couldn't get comfortable. He was also VERY gassy! Not the nicest smelling sleep I've every had... This morning he was a bit groggy but could be because he didn't sleep well. He ate his food like he normally does, although a tad bit slower, but if it's a new habbit, I won't complain! He also had two normal poops before AI left for work. No runny mess! So I will see how he fares tonight.

I just HATE it when he's not feeling well! But I have no idea what he might have eaten...
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Dani is offline Senior Member

what did you switch from and to? If you are feeding the same amount and the new food is higher in calories, fat and protein, I'd wager to bet that it's too much for him. Cut back on the food.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003