Heavy Panting

Thread: Heavy Panting

sujir is offline Junior Member

Red faceHeavy Panting

I have a 1 year old Yellow Lab named Ollie! She has a ton of energy so I just started rollerblading with her to drain some of it. I have noticed that the last two times she has started to pant and breathe very rapidly. She is given plenty of water which does not seem to help. If this continues then I am going to bring her to the vet. It has been unusually warm the last couple of days. I am not sure if the weather has something to do with this or if it is common for labs ....This is my first dog so I am new to all of this! Would love to know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

You shouldn't force Ollie to rollerblade with you until she's 2 years old. It sounds like she's over exerting herself and you are in danger of damaging her growth plates.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Even when she is 2 it's still forced exercise. Your dog cannot chose to slow down or stop if she is not feeling up to the level of exercise you are capable of. If she strains something while running - she cannot stop - the strain gets worse or becomes a more serious injury. I don't think this is a great idea unless it is slow and you pay careful attention to how the dog is behaving.

I assume that you jumped from simple walking - maybe throwing the ball in the park - to a much more significant activity level (rollerblading with her running alongside). She is probably not in good enough condition to do that. And yeah - it is really hot in NY now. I'm not surprised she is overheated.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sujir is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the information! I never thought that I was over exerting her...she is back to her normal self at the moment and I will definitly take your advice of closely monitoring her and taking it slow...the same thing also happenend to her at the dog park yesterday and I thought it was the weather and her level of excitement! While I am asking for suggestions...any ideas on how to break her out of the habit of jumping on people? ...she doesn't jump on me or my husband but when anyone else is around she just cant help herself!!! Thanks!